Schedule 5: English language teaching staff
This Schedule applies to English language teaching staff as defined in this Schedule 5 of the Agreement and prevails to the extent of any inconsistency over the provisions of the Agreement.
Staff may be employed in the following categories:
- Funding Contingent Continuing Employment;
- fixed term employment; or
- casual employment.
In this Agreement:
Continuous language staff means language staff employed on a Funding Contingent Continuous Employment basis.
CET Deputy Director means a member of language staff who, under the direction of the CET Director and in collaboration with other language staff, is primarily responsible for:
- managing CET teaching programs and associated administrative functions;
- providing leadership to all language staff to develop and achieve quality English language programs for international students;
- liaising with the International Office, Faculties of the University and outside bodies to ensure relevance of CET courses; and
- assisting the CET Director with promotional, marketing and other management functions.
CET Education Manager means a member of language staff who, in addition to performing the duties of a language teacher and under the direction of the CET Director and in collaboration with other language staff, is primarily responsible for:
- managing day-to-day operation of relevant programs;
- co-ordinating materials and curriculum development for language programs;
- monitoring and appraising the performance of staff and relevance of curricula and content;
- providing support/advice to Language teachers; and
- monitoring student progress and welfare.
English language teaching staff means qualified language teachers employed to work within the CET in the classifications of Language Teacher, CET Education Manager or CET Deputy Director as defined in Schedule 5 or qualified language teachers employed to perform the substantial duties of those classifications.
Language teacher means a qualified language teacher who, under the direction of the CET Director and in collaboration with other language staff, is primarily responsible for:
- teaching English language and academic study skills to students of non-English speaking background;
- developing appropriate teaching materials;
- being involved in appropriate course management functions;
- monitoring all aspects of student progress; and
- assuming those administrative responsibilities associated with teaching duties.
Termination of employment where there is no longer continued need and/or sufficient student fee funding
- Where there is no longer continued need and/or sufficient student fee funding for a position held by a Continuous language staff member, the staff member will receive notice of termination and severance payments in accordance with clauses 9 and 12 of this Schedule respectively.
Employment of Language Teachers as Continuous Language Staff
At least 75% of the core Language teacher positions (determined on a full-time equivalent basis and including any language teacher who is working as a CET Education Manager for a specified period) will be filled by Continuous language staff. For the purposes of this clause, Language teachers:
who work wholly or primarily in relation to any of the following courses:
- courses that are not currently accepted as core programs conducted by the CET;
- courses conducted away from the primary location of the CET;
- new courses, for the first two years of the operation of such a course;
- courses funded wholly by a government department or a corporation (other than the University); or
- whose employment is not covered by this Agreement will not count towards the calculation of core CET Language teacher positions.
- who work wholly or primarily in relation to any of the following courses:
- Where a Continuous language teacher moves into a position that does not count towards the calculation of core language teacher positions, any language teacher employed on a fixed term or casual basis to perform the work previously performed by the Continuous language teacher will also not count towards the calculation of core Language teacher positions.