Schedule 5: English language teaching staff - Severance payments
Subject to clause 42 of this Schedule, a Continuing language staff member whose employment is terminated due to the absence of continuing need or sufficient student fee funding for their position, or on other grounds of redundancy, will receive the following severance payments:
Period of Continuous Service Period of notice 1 year or more but less than 2 years 4 weeks 2 years or more but less than 3 years 6 weeks 3 years or more but less than 4 years 7 weeks 4 years or more but less than 6 years 8 weeks 6 years or more but less than 8 years 12 weeks 8 years or more but less than 10 years 16 weeks 10 years or more but less than 12 years 20 weeks 12 years or more but less than 15 years 24 weeks 15 years or more but less than 20 years 30 weeks 20 years or more but less than 26 years 40 weeks 26 years or more 52 weeks
- No severance payments will be made to a staff member who is offered suitable alternative employment, whether such offer is accepted or not.
- Years of continuous paid service includes both full-time and part-time service.
- Breaks in service of less than two months shall not be considered to be a break in Continuous Service. Subject to discretionary consideration, the University may agree to treat breaks in service of up to three months as not breaking Continuous Service.
- Periods of approved unpaid leave will not constitute breaks in service for the purposes of calculating severance payments, but except in the case of maternity leave and sick leave that has been supported by a medical certificate, such leave will not count as service for the calculation of severance payments.
- Other than in exceptional circumstances approved by the University, a staff member who has taken voluntary retrenchment or voluntary early retirement will not be employed by the University in any capacity, either directly or indirectly (including as a consultant, a casual or sessional staff member, or a contractor or an employee of a contractor to the University) for a period of at least eighteen months from their last day of duty.