Institutional Analytics and Planning
The University of Sydney

Terms used in web reports and the Statistics Book

a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Academic Organisational Unit (AOU) and AOU Group
An AOU is a unit formed by the University to undertake as its primary objective teaching only, research only or teaching-and-research functions, and is used for statistical reporting to DEEWR. Internally, these units are referred to by various names such as "schools", "departments", "institutes" and "centres".
(Source: DEEWR document)
An AOU Group provides a means for standardising AOUs across Higher Education Providers (Universities/Higher Education Institutions) nationwide. AOUs are assigned to an AOU group on the basis of disciplines for which each AOU has a teaching and/or research responsibility.
(Source: DEEWR document)
In this publication, attendance is classified as full-time or part-time. The type of attendance in which a student is classified depends on the student's method of candidature and the student load.
Coursework students are classified as being full-time or part-time depending on the load associated with the courses in which they are enrolled. A student whose enrolment in all coursework courses generates 0.375 EFTSL or higher for a half-year is classified as full-time, otherwise the student is classified as part-time.
Research students are classified as being full-time or part-time depending on the arrangement made with the respective faculty in which they are enrolled. Their attendance may be changed between semesters. For research student load see Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL) 
If a student is enrolled simultaneously in a coursework course and a research course, attendance type is determined separately for the two courses by the methods above. As attendance may differ between the first and second half-years, attendance is calculated as at 31st March. For students enrolled in the first half-year, attendance is calculated using this period according to the above methods. Students not enrolled in the first half-year are classified according to their second half-year enrolment.
The Australian Graduate School of Management
In 1999 the University of Sydney entered into a joint venture with the University of New South Wales leading to the formation of the Australian Graduate School of Management (AGSM). The joint venture AGSM was derived from the Graduate School of Business at the University of Sydney and the previously existing AGSM at the University of New South Wales.
Students enrolled at the joint venture AGSM were students of both the University of Sydney and the University of New South Wales. The agreement for reporting enrolments, load and staff at the joint venture required that the University of Sydney report all student enrolments and staff numbers, but that only one third of both the Student load (EFTSL) and full-time equivalent staff (FTE) be attributed to the University of Sydney.
This joint venture terminated on 1 January 2006. Under the termination arrangements, students who commence prior to 31 December 2006 will remain as students of the joint venture until completion. However, from 1 January 2006 no staff will be considered as joint venture employees or employees of the University of Sydney.
This publication includes all enrolments, graduations, and completions for AGSM students who have commenced prior to 31 December 2006. In tables and graphs dealing with student load (EFTSL) a factor of one third has been applied to the load attributable to AGSM. However, in relation to staff reporting, only the pre-2006 staff number and one third of the staff full-time equivalence (FTE) for AGSM are included in relevant tables and graphs. No staff figures are included from 2006 onwards.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Cadigal Program
The Cadigal Program, named in recognition of the Aboriginal people of the land on which the University is located, is a program designed to increase the successful participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in degree courses in all faculties at the University of Sydney.
(Source: Koori Centre)
Census Date
The date at which a student's enrolment, load, HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP debt are finalised before this information is reported to DEEWR
(Source: DEEWR document)
See also DEEWR Reporting 
Combined Course
A course which leads to two awards. For example the Arts/Law course leads to the separate awards of Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws.
Combined Degree
A combined degree is a single program with a single set of course resolutions leading to the award of two degrees (unless otherwise specified in the resolutions).
Commencing Enrolment
An enrolment is classified as commencing if a student has enrolled in a particular course for the first time:
  • between 1 January and 31 December of the current year (2005 onwards)
  • between 1 September of the year prior to the current year and 31 August of the current year (prior to 2005)
(Enrolments commencing between 1 September and 31 December 2004 would be included as 2004 commencing enrolments.)
Notes: A commencing student is not the same as a first year student. A continuing enrolment is one that is not commencing.
Commonwealth Grant Scheme (CGS)
The Commonwealth Grant Scheme (CGS) was introduced in 2005 to replace the previous Operating Grant. Through the CGS, the Commonwealth provides a contribution, set by discipline, towards the cost of an agreed number of Commonwealth Supported Places. Places to be supported may be at the undergraduate level, the postgraduate coursework level in negotiated fields, and in enabling courses.
(Source: DEEWR document)
For information on all funding categories, see Funding Category 
Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)
A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is a higher education place for which the Commonwealth makes a financial contribution through the Commonwealth Grant Scheme (CGS). Commonwealth supported places were introduced in 2005 to replace the Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) places. Research Training Scheme (RTS) places are not classified as CSP. For RTS, see: Research Training Scheme.
(Source: DEEWR document)
(Source: DEEWR document)
Completion refers to the successful completion of all the academic requirements of an award course.
Research Completions: when a student submits their thesis for the first time, it is counted as a research completion. Any subsequent submissions that student makes for the same degree are not counted as completions.
Note: Completion is not the same as Graduation.
(Source: DEEWR document)
See Graduation 
Continuing Enrolment
A continuing enrolment is one that is not commencing. See Commencing Enrolment 
Cotutelle Scheme
An agreement between the University and any overseas university for joint supervision and examination of a Doctorate (Research) student as part of an ongoing co-operative research collaboration.
An award course, non-award course, enabling course, or cross-institutional program undertaken at the University.
(Source: DEEWR document)
Course Level
In general, level refers to the full range of programs offered, from higher doctorates to undergraduate non-award courses. However, in some instances, categories have been collapsed into a smaller number of levels, so that at times level may refer only to Postgraduate(Research), Postgraduate(Coursework) and Undergraduate.
A combined or double degree course that leads to a postgraduate award and an undergraduate award is classified as an undergraduate course [HESA - Schedule 1].
An Enabling Course does not have a specific level and is included in Undergraduate
Broad LevelLevel
Postgraduate (Research) Higher Doctorate
Doctorate (Research)

Master (Research)
Postgraduate (Coursework) Doctorate (Coursework)
Master (Coursework)

Preliminary (Postgraduate)

Graduate Diploma

Graduate Certificate

Non-Award (Postgraduate)

Cross-Institutional (Postgraduate)
Undergraduate Bachelor (Graduate Entry)
Bachelor (Honours)

Bachelor (Pass)

Diploma (Undergraduate)

Non-Award (Undergraduate)

Cross-Institutional (Undergraduate)

Enabling Course
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
The Australian Government has the primary responsibility for public funding of higher education. The Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) is the Australian Government Department with responsibility for administering this funding and for developing and administering higher education policy and programs.
(Source: DEEWR document)
DEEWR Reporting
The Planning Office reports student and Staff data to DEEWR.
Student Data:
Prior to 2005 Student data was submitted to DEEWR each year at two census dates:
  • Submission 1 reports data as at 31 March
  • Submission 2 reports data as at 31 August
From 2005 onwards, Student data is reported to DEEWR in four main submissions that contain data for units of study with census dates that fall within a specified period. Details are in the table below.
Period of Census Dates Related Sessions Due Date
1 January to 31 March 1 'Semester 1'
6 'S1 Intensive'

7 'Semester 1a'

42 'Summer Early'

43 'Summer Main'

44 'Summer Late'

45 'Summer L1'

46 'Summer L2'
31 May
1 April to 30 June 8 'Semester 1b'
61 'S1 Late Intensive'
31 August
1 July to 31 August 2 'Semester 2'
5 'S2 Intensive'

9 'Semester 2a'

11 'Winter'
31 October
1 September to 31 December 10 'Semester 2b'
51 'S2 Late Intensive'

52 'S2 Late 1b'
31 March
(following year)
Staff Data:
Staff data is reported to DEEWR once per year, which is due on 30 June current year. The census date for Full-Time/Fractional Full-Time Staff data is 31 March current year. The reference period for Casual staff data is between 1 January and 31 December of the prior year. An estimate of the Casual Full-Time Equivalent as at 31 March of the current year must also be reported to DEEWR on the due date.
Domestic Fee-paying (DFEE)
A domestic student that either deferred fees through FEE-HELP, paid full award or enabling course fees, or were enrolled in a non-award course. This includes students with employer reserved places, open learning studies and bridging courses for overseas-trained professionals.
(Source: DEEWR document)
Double Degree
A double degree is a program where students are permitted by participating faculties (and/or by specific resolutions within a single award) to transfer between courses in order to complete two awards.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Enabling Course
A course of instruction that enables a person to undertake a course leading to a higher education award. Enabling courses do not include a course leading to a higher education award or any course that the Minister determines is not an enabling course under the Act HESA Schedule 1.
(Source: DEEWR document)
An enrolment exists when a person has been admitted to an award program, non-award course, enabling program or cross-institutional program at an institution. An enrolment also exists where a person is still entitled to continue with their studies and has not formally indicated before the census date that they have withdrawn from or deferred their studies.
(Source: DEEWR document)
Since a number of students are enrolled in more than one degree or diploma, total enrolments for the University exceed the total number of students by a small margin.
Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL)
Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL) is a measure of study load when compared to the standard of a student undertaking a course of study on a full time basis for one year.
Each unit of study in which a coursework student may enrol is assigned a weight. The weight is the number of credit points associated with the unit-of-study divided by the prescribed number of credit points for a full year's work (48 in most cases).
For research students, weights are assigned according to their attendance pattern in a given semester (full-time=0.5 and part-time=0.25).
These weights can be aggregated in a number of different ways (by student, degree/course, department, faculty) to give student load.
Load is counted if a student has a status of either enrolled or discontinued for a unit (for coursework students) or for a semester (for research students).
Exchange Programme
The reciprocal exchange of a domestic student with an overseas student, which is covered by a formal agreement between the University and an overseas higher education provider that allows both students to pay for their study under whatever regime applies to them in their home country.
(Source: DEEWR document)
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Faculty of Course Registration
The faculty which is responsible for the coordination and administration of a course. Enrolments, completions and graduations in a course are often grouped within their Faculty of Course Registration. In previous publications this was referred to as Faculty of Registration.
Faculty of Registration
See 'Faculty of Course Registration' (above)
Faculty of Rural Management
In January 2005 the intake of new students to the Faculty of Rural Management was transferred to Charles Sturt University. Students with a first enrolment in the Faculty prior to 2005 will remain as students of the University of Sydney until completion. In this publication, enrolments and load refer to those students only. However, from 1 April 2006 staff of the Faculty are not considered to be employees of the University of Sydney. Hence, from 2007 onwards staff figures are not included in this publication. Due to special circumstances, there may be a few commencing students in the Faculty from 2005.
Faculty of Work
See Teaching Faculty 
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE)
See Staff: Full-Time Equivalence(FTE) 
Fully Sponsored Student
A fee-paying overseas student who is sponsored under a foreign aid program. Includes those with Australian Development Cooperation Scholarships (ADCOS) and any other Australian foreign aid program for which students are enrolled in Higher Education Providers by the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID)".
(Source: DEEWR document)
See also: International (Overseas) Student 
Funding Category
Student enrolments are funded by one of the following categories:
  • Research Training Scheme (RTS)
  • Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)
  • Domestic Fee-paying (DFEE)
  • Research Outside of RTS
  • International Fee-paying (IFEE)
  • International Exchange Non-Fee Paying
  • Work Experience in Industry (WEI)
Funding Clusters
The University is required by DEEWR to classify Units of Study to Fields of Education within the ABS ASCED classification. DEEWR groups Units of Study into Funding Clusters and student contribution bands according to the field of education code. A maximum student contribution amount is assigned to each student contribution band and the Commonwealth contribution allocated to each funding cluster.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
A student graduates when a degree is conferred or a diploma is awarded. Graduation should not be confused with completion. Students must complete to graduate. There are cases where some students may have completed all the academic requirements of a course but not have received the award. These students would count as a completion but not as a graduation. In this publication, the degrees conferred exclude the conferral of all honorary degrees.
See Completion 
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Higher Doctorate
Entries headed Higher Doctorate include awards granted in recognition of an original work which have not been conducted as part of a supervised candidature.
(Source: DEEWR document)
Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP)
The Higher Education Loan Programme is a suite of income contingent loans introduced in 2005 for Australian citizens and holders of a permanent humanitarian visa. HELP consists of: HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP and OS-HELP.
HELP replaces the Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) and the Postgraduate Education Loans Scheme (PELS) that were in place prior to 2005.
Higher Education Officer (HEO)
See Staff Higher Education Officer (HEO) 
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
International Exchange Non-Fee Paying
An overseas student enrolled under an Exchange Programme. Doctorate (Research) students under the cotutelle agreement are included in this category.
See Exchange Programme 
International Fee-Paying (IFEE)
A fee-paying overseas student who is not sponsored under a foreign aid program, but may be a student with these awards: IPRS (International Postgraduate Research Scheme); SOPF (Special Overseas Postgraduate Fund); Australian-European Awards Program; and the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan. Students enrolled through the Study Abroad Program are included in this category; however overseas students enrolled under an Exchange Programme (International Exchange Non-Fee Paying) are not included.
(Source: DEEWR document)
See also: 'International Exchange Non-Fee Paying' (above)
International (Overseas) Student
An international student is either a full fee-paying, non-fee exchange or fully sponsored student who is not a permanent resident of Australia, has not been granted a permanent Humanitarian Visa and is not an Australian or New Zealand citizen.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
See Course Level 
See Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL) 
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Number of Students (NS)
Numbers of students are calculated for category shown, therefore student numbers cannot be added to produce a total number of students, as many will be in multiple categories, eg one student may be enrolled in many units.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Postgraduate Degrees - Research/Coursework
A student's candidature in a postgraduate degree is deemed to be by Research if 66% or more of the workload over the length of the degree is by research. Otherwise the candidature is deemed to be by Coursework. See "Course Level" for level structure.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Research outside of RTS
A research student who has exhausted their RTS entitlement. See Research Training Scheme (RTS).
Research Training Scheme (RTS)
Implemented in 2001 and substantially revised in 2004, the Research Training Scheme provides Commonwealth-funded higher degree by research (HDR) students with an 'entitlement' to a student contribution exemption for the duration of an accredited HDR course, up to a maximum period of four years' full-time equivalent study for a Doctorate by research and two years' full-time equivalent study for a Masters by research.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Staff: Appointment Term
Refers to whether the member of staff has been appointed on a Continuing, Fixed Term or Casual basis. Continuing and Fixed Term appointments may be on a Full-time or Fractional Full-time basis.
See also Staff: Work contract 
Staff: Full-Time Equivalence (FTE)
This is a measurement of staff resources and relates to the amount of time a staff member devotes to his/her current duties (i.e. the job in which a staff member is working at the reference date of 31 March).
A member of staff can have either a full-time, fractional full-time or casual work contract. A full-time work contract has a FTE of 1.0. A fractional full-time work contract has a value less than 1.0 (e.g. 0.5).
Casual FTE values are calculated by the formula:
Total Hours Worked / (X hours per week multiplied by Y weeks per year)
  • X=9 and Y=27 for Lecturing,
  • X=25 and Y=27 for Tutoring or Demonstrating,
  • X=35 and Y=52 for Marking (as a single activity), Research or other work.
The denominator values of the above formula represent the hours worked by one full-time staff member in each of the occupation groups i.e. Lecturing, Tutoring, etc., as imputed by DEEWR.
(Source: DEEWR document)
Staff: Function
A general type of work that a member of staff has formally agreed to undertake in respect of their current duties. A function may be:
  • Teaching-Only Function: The work involves only teaching and associated activities (including lecturing, group or individual tutoring, preparation of teaching materials, supervision of students, marking, and preparation for the foregoing activities), or the management and leadership of teaching staff and of staff who support teaching staff. There is no formal requirement that research be undertaken. This function mainly consists of Casual Academic staff.
  • Research-Only Function: The work involves undertaking only research work or providing technical or professional research assistance, or the management and leadership of research staff and of staff who support research staff. There may be limited other work (eg participation in the development of postgraduate courses and supervision of postgraduate students).
  • Teaching and Research Function: A formal requirement is that both a teaching function and a research function will be undertaken, or the work requires the management and leadership of teaching staff and research staff and persons who support such staff.
  • Support Function: Functions other than those described above. People with such functions may be located within academic organisational units as well as other types of organisational units.
(Source: DEEWR document)
Where not identified separately, Teaching Only is combined with Teaching and Research. Academic staff usually have either a function of Teaching/Research or Research Only. General Staff usually have a function of support. However, some academic staff may have a function of Support, eg, VC, PVC. Also, some general staff are classified as Research Assistants and have a function of Research Only. The following table shows the possible relationship between occupation classification and function.
Classification Teaching/Research Research Only Support
Academic Yes Yes Yes
General No Yes Yes
Staff: Higher Education Officer (HEO)
Tables in the publication showing general staff figures reflect a ten Higher Education Officer award structure. The structure, introduced at the University of Sydney in October 1993, applies to general staff in all Australian universities. Staff are also classified outside the award below Level 1, generally as a trainee or apprentice, and above Level 10, generally as senior executives.
Staff: Member of
In this publication a member of staff is a person who performs duties for the University, is employed by the University on a full-time, fractional full-time or casual basis, and is included on the payroll.
Excludes persons on Leave Without Pay at the reference date.
Staff: Occupation Classification
The classification of a member of staff in terms of whether they are academic staff or general staff.
Academic Staff: A category that is used to identify members of staff who are either:
  • People for whom salaries are the subject of determinations which are made by the Industrial Relations Department or which are made by the Remuneration Tribunal in respect of "academic and related staff", and including Vice-Chancellors, Deputy Vice-Chancellors, Principals and Deputy Principals.
  • People who are appointed to undertake a research-only function or a teaching and research function in the University, or those appointed by the University to be responsible for such people and who are funded through the National Health and Medical Research Council or other bodies.
  • People employed on a contract basis to perform the function of teaching-only, research-only or teaching-and-research, even though their remuneration is not subject to the determination of the Industrial Relations Department or the Remuneration Tribunal.
Academic staff are classified at one of the following levels:
  • Vice-Chancellor & Principal
  • Deputy Vice-Chancellor
  • Pro Vice-Chancellor
  • Level E (Professor)
  • Level D (Associate Professor)
  • Level C (Senior Lecturer)
  • Level B (Lecturer)
  • Level A (Associate Lecturer)
General Staff: All staff not identified as academic staff.
General staff are classified at one of ten award levels: Higher Education Officer (HEO) Level 1 - HEO Level 10. General staff may also be classified outside the award below Level 1, or above Level 10. See Staff: Higher Education Officer (HEO).
(Source: DEEWR document)
Staff: Positions
Refers to the number of appointments, therefore, staff positions cannot be added to produce a total number of staff, as some fractional full-time staff may occupy more than one position.
Staff: Work Contract
The hours and associated conditions of engagement for a member of staff. Work contracts may be classified as being one of three types:
Full-time: it is for a continuous period, the full range of duties which are appropriate to the job or position are to be performed, the duties are to be performed on a regular basis and the number of hours to be worked each week are at least equal to the number of hours specified for full-time work under the relevant award.
Fractional full-time: it is for a continuous period; the full range of duties which would be appropriate to the job or position were it to be undertaken by a member of staff with a full-time work contract and with the same classification type and level, are to be performed; the duties are to be performed on a regular basis; and the number of hours to be worked each week is a specified fraction of the number of hours which would be worked by a member of staff with a full-time work contract;
Both Full-time and Fractional full-time staff are entitled to paid annual leave, paid sick leave or paid long-service leave. Leave for Fractional Full-Time staff is calculated on a pro-rata basis.
Casual work: the member of staff is engaged and paid on an hourly or sessional basis; and has no entitlement to be paid annual leave, paid sick leave or paid long-service leave.
(Source: DEEWR document)
A person for whom there is an enrolment (or multiple enrolments) in a higher education course.
(Source: DEEWR document)
Students can be measured in three ways: EFTSL, Enrolments or Number of Students
Student Load
See Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL) 
Student/Staff Ratios (SSR)
Student/Staff ratios are calculated on a departmental/faculty basis by dividing the student load attributable to a particular department/faculty by the full-time equivalent academic staff employed to teach in or on behalf of that department/faculty
Study Abroad Program
The Study Abroad Program is a scheme allowing international students access to undergraduate courses from a range of faculties on a semester basis.
Under the Program students enrol for non-award studies. They normally proceed to an undergraduate or higher degree at their home institution. The Program is administered by the International Office. These students are included in the funding category International Fee-Paying.
Sydney Summer School/Winter School
The Sydney Summer School was introduced in January 1998, it is a program of intensive study which runs for seven weeks in January and February. Winter School was introduced in 2002, which provides a program of study running for three weeks each July. The Schools offer both undergraduate and postgraduate units of study from approved award courses of faculties within the University of Sydney.
With both Summer and Winter School, a student can:
  • speed up completion of his/her course;
  • catch up on units of study;
  • complete a unit outside the usual program of study.
For Summer School, current students and external students are invited to enrol in single units of study. Full degree/diploma programs are not offered at Summer School. For Winter School, due to the intensive study requirement, applications for enrolment are restricted to a maximum of one unit only.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Teaching Faculty
Teaching faculty is the faculty responsible for teaching a particular Unit of Study. In previous publications, this was referred to as Faculty of Work.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
Unit of Study (UOS)
A unit or subject that a person may undertake within a department or faculty. Parts of a bridging course for overseas trained professionals are also considered units of study.
a | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | l | n | p | r | s | t | u | w
See Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL) 
Winter School
See Sydney Summer/Winter School 
Work Experience in Industry (WEI)
Refers to a student undertaking Work Experience in Industry (WEI) where learning and performance is not directed by, and support is not received from, the University and for which a student contribution cannot be charged.
(Source: DEEWR document)
Last modified: 23/02/2012
Planning & Statistics Webmaster