Help and support

We know that it can be stressful to lodge an appeal. If you need support to prepare and/or progress your appeal, there are staff in various University units who can advise you on the University’s policies and processes.

Your student organisation
Before lodging your appeal, you may find it valuable to follow the example of other students and first discuss your problem with a caseworker in your student organisation. Contact:

The SRC and SUPRA are run by students and their services are provided free to students. The staff in these organisations are trained professionals. They are not employed by the University but by the student body, who have been elected (by students) to run their organisation. The SRC and SUPRA have caseworkers who are very knowledgeable about the University’s regulations and responsibilities and very experienced in supporting students in meetings with University decision-makers.

The Student Affairs Unit
In addition to the help you can get from your student organisation, the University has staff in each faculty who can advise you on making an appeal. If you are unsure who to direct your appeal to, or would like to have an initial discussion with someone in the University who is not connected with the area or decision-maker you wish to appeal about, you can contact the Student Affairs Unit.

The Student Affairs Unit is responsible for handling specific appeals against academic decisions and student misconduct complaints. However, our staff will be happy to have a preliminary discussion of your appeal with you, to help you decide if you wish to go ahead with the appeal and, if so, how to proceed.