Bullying, harassment, discrimination or antisocial behaviour

Unlawful harassment is any type of behaviour that is unwanted by its recipient; offends, insults, humiliates or intimidates them and is sexual in nature or targets the recipient on the basis of a specific personal characteristic (such as sex, gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual preference or disability).

Unlawful discrimination occurs when individuals, or groups are treated less favourably than others because of a specific personal characteristic.

Bullying is any form of behaviour that results in the development of an unequal power relationship between a person and another individual, or group of people. It may be verbal, physical, social or psychological behaviour that causes the receiver to experience humiliation, domination, intimidation, or victimisation. It can include, but is not limited to:

  • teasing
  • spreading malicious gossip or rumours
  • deliberate intrusion of personal space
  • usage of a carriage service (such as phone, email, social networking) to repeatedly send unwanted and/or offensive or intimidating communications
  • physical violence.

Antisocial behaviour is any sort of behaviour that disturbs, annoys or interferes with a person’s ability to go about their lawful business.

If you feel that you have been the victim of bullying, harassment, discrimination or any type of antisocial behaviour, Chapter 8 of the By-law sets out the process by which you can make a complaint about another student. The University has a number of policies which specify the code of behaviour that all of its students are expected to follow. They are:

If you feel that you are the victim of antisocial behaviour by another member of the University, whether they are a staff or student member, you may contact one of the University’s Harassment and Discrimination Support Officers for advice and support.

These officers are trained to provide assistance to the person making the complaint and to suggest approaches for dealing with their specific situation. The names and contact details of these officers are available here.

Other places where you can go for support and assistance: