Skip to main content

Discontinue your course

If you’ve decided to withdraw entirely from your current studies, you will need to discontinue your course. This ends your current enrolment and removes you from any units of study. If you were then to continue your studies, you would need to submit a new application to the University.

Depending on when you choose to discontinue your degree there may be financial and academic penalties that you should be aware of.

If you’re transferring to another course or you’ve accepted a late offer, you’ll need to discontinue from your previous degree.

Before you discontinue


Get some advice

It’s a big decision to leave your course, so we recommend you seek academic advice first to help understand what this change will mean for you. If you are an international student, contact our international Compliance Officers for advice. You may also want to discuss your decision with the Careers Centre


Understand the financial and academic implications

Make sure you’re aware of the important dates and deadlines associated not only with your course but also your units of study (as their census dates may vary).

If you discontinue your course after the relevant census date(s), you will face academic and/or financial penalties.


Consider suspending your studies as an alternative

If you’re unsure about your decision you may choose to apply to suspend your studies while you work out the best way forward.

We are required to notify the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) within 14 days of you discontinuing your studies. We will cancel your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) which will affect your ability to stay in Australia under your current student visa. You will need to contact DIBP within 28 days to arrange an alternate visa, or return to your home country.

If you discontinue your enrolment in the first six months to take up an offer at another university, you’ll need to get an official release letter

If you have a scholarship, are a postgraduate research student supported by the Research Training Program, or are receiving any financial assistance from the University, your payments will stop after you discontinue your course.

If you discontinue your candidature in the Bachelor of Laws, you cannot be re-admitted to the degree as it does not exist as a standalone degree. It is only offered as part of a Combined Law program. If you later decide to re-apply for admission to a qualifying law degree at Sydney Law School, you will need to apply for admission to the Juris Doctor. You will not be eligible for credit for any law units taken as part of an undergraduate law degree.

Request to discontinue

You can request to discontinue your course through Sydney Student (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Course details’, then ‘Discontinue your course’).

You’ll be asked to confirm that you have sought academic advice, and to provide a reason for your discontinuation.

Once your request is approved, you will automatically be removed from your course.

Student Centre

Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Last updated: 11 August 2017


Tell us if there is anything wrong with this page

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

This is for feedback on the website only. If you need help or advice with anything else please contact the Student Centre.