Skip to main content

Extend your candidature

If you are unable to complete your research by your completion date, you may be able to extend your candidature.

You can apply for an extension of up to four research periods (one year).  This can only be done within six months of your latest completion date.

What you need

You should first discuss your proposed extension and revised research schedule with your supervisor. 

Your application should contain:

  • an explanation of any difficulties experienced during your candidature
  • relevant supporting documents
  • a revised schedule for the completion of your research.

This request will be noted in your annual progress report.

How to Apply

Submit your request through Sydney Student. Go to ‘My studies’, ‘Course details’, then select ‘Request candidature extension’ next to your latest completion date.

Once your request has been assessed we will contact you about the outcome.

Additional information

International students

If your extension is approved, you may also need to apply to extend your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE). If you have any questions about your visa, phone +61 2 8627 8300 or email

Scholarship recipients

If your extension is approved and you are also a recipient of a scholarship, postgraduate research support scheme or financial assistance from the University you should contact the Higher Degree by Research Administration Centre to confirm the end date of your payments.

Research Training Program (RTP)

If your extension is approved, you may exceed the maximum entitlement period under the Research Training Program (RTP) and be liable for fees. You can confirm your remaining RTP in Sydney Student or contact the Scholarships Office.

Higher Degree by Research Administration Centre

Level 5, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Last updated: 16 March 2017


Tell us if there is anything wrong with this page

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

This is for feedback on the website only. If you need help or advice with anything else please contact the Student Centre.