Skip to main content


If you have a Commonwealth supported place in your course, you may be eligible to defer your student contribution through HECS-HELP.

Overview and eligibility

HECS-HELP is a government loan scheme assisting eligible students to defer their student contribution through a loan.

Any amount deferred through HECS-HELP becomes part of an accumulated HELP debt, which you will be required to repay through the tax system once you meet a certain salary threshold.


To be eligible to apply for HECS-HELP, you need to:

Eligibility criteria and legislation around HECS-HELP can change. See the Study Assist website for full details.

If you’re an Australian permanent resident visa holder (excluding a permanent humanitarian visa holder) or a New Zealand citizen who is not eligible for HECS-HELP assistance, you are required to pay your student contribution up front.

Student Centre

Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus
Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Last updated: 30 June 2017


Tell us if there is anything wrong with this page

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

This is for feedback on the website only. If you need help or advice with anything else please contact the Student Centre.