Skip to main content

Suspend your studies

Suspending your studies allows you to take a break from studying while keeping your place in the course.

You can request to suspend for a semester, research period or for a full academic year. For most courses, a maximum suspension of two years is allowed, but you need to apply to the relevant dean to suspend your course for longer than one year.

You should submit a leave of absence request for periods less than a full research period.

After your suspension period, you will be able to recommence your studies without having to reapply for the course.

A suspension is different from a deferral because you have already started your degree and are pausing your studies rather than postponing the start date.

How to apply

You can request a suspension through Sydney Student (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Course details’, then ‘Suspend your studies’).

You need to submit your request before the census date of the semester or research period that you are suspending for.

Once your request has been assessed, we will email you with the outcome. When your approved period of suspension is nearly over, we will email you with instructions on how to recommence your studies.

If you are a domestic (Commonwealth supported or fee-paying) student and are required to pay fees up front, you may be entitled to a refund.

If you are undertaking a bachelor’s degree and are considering applying for a suspension, it is important to note that you need to complete your degree requirements within 10 calendar years. This includes any semester(s) of suspension.

Once you have been enrolled for at least one year and have passed your probation, you can apply to suspend your research for a maximum of one year during the remainder of your candidature. Further suspensions are only granted in compelling circumstances, at the discretion of the dean or associate dean.

As a research student, a period of suspension will always affect your earliest and latest thesis submission dates. You should ensure that your progress plan and any previously agreed milestones are adjusted accordingly.

You can use the Equivalent Full Time Study Load (EFTSL) values for each research period to understand how a period of suspension will impact your date for thesis submission.

For example, if your latest date for submission is 30 September and you take an approved period of suspension in Research Period 2, you will add 0.333 (four months = the duration of RP2) to your latest date. This means your new thesis submission date will be 31 January.

Find the EFTSL value for each research period.

If you have a scholarship or are receiving any financial assistance from the University, you need to notify the Scholarships Office about your decision to suspend your course.

If you are unable to continue with your studies for compelling personal, medical or compassionate reasons, you may (under strict conditions) be eligible to apply for a leave of absence or suspension of studies.

For example, serious health issues that prevent you attending class, required military service in your home country, misconduct requiring suspension or failure to obtain a student visa. You will need to provide supporting documents with your application. This may include medical certificates, statutory declarations, or Immigration Notices. You will need to upload all evidence when you submit your request through Sydney Student.

If you suspend your studies, the University will notify the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and your eCoE will be cancelled. Your visa may be cancelled and you may be required to leave Australia. To find out how your visa will be affected, you will need to contact DIBP.

You can contact our international compliance officers for general advice relating to your suspension such as, eligibility, supporting documents, or eCoE duration.

Documents and eligibility

Your faculty or school may need you to provide supplementary documents as part of your request to suspend, for example, a recommencement study plan.

If you are a postgraduate coursework student and suspend your studies for one or two semesters, the same length of time will be added to the time in which you are normally required to complete your studies.

If you are undertaking a diploma or postgraduate coursework, you can suspend for up to two semesters in total.

If you are an undergraduate student or undertaking the Master of Teaching, you can be granted a suspension for a period of one year (two semesters). Suspensions of only one semester are not allowed.

You cannot be granted a suspension to undertake other study.

To apply to suspend your studies you'll need to complete a Recommencement study plan (pdf, 163KB). If you do not upload this document with your suspension application, it won’t be processed.

If you’re a Graduate Entry Master’s student you need to have completed at least one semester to be eligible for a suspension. Newly enrolled students need to discontinue their course and reapply the following year.

Bachelor of Laws

You are only able to suspend your Law studies for one year, except in cases where you are also planning to undertake honours in your first degree or in exceptional circumstances. Check the course resolutions in the Sydney Law School faculty handbook for more information.

If you decide to take a break from your studies, it’s important that you apply for a suspension rather than fail to enrol, as this will result in a lapse of candidature. As the Bachelor of Laws doesn’t exist as a standalone degree, a lapse of candidature means that you will not be able to re-apply for admission to the degree.

It is important to note that you need to complete your combined degree requirements within 10 calendar years. This includes any semester(s) of suspension.

Juris Doctor

If you are studying full time, you are not able to suspend your studies in Year 1 of the program. If you are studying part time, you are not able to suspend your studies in Years 1 or 2 of the program.

You can suspend your studies for a maximum period of two calendar years in total.

It is important to note that you need to complete your degree requirements within 10 calendar years. This includes any semester(s) of suspension.

Student Centre

Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus
Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Last updated: 17 February 2017


Tell us if there is anything wrong with this page

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

This is for feedback on the website only. If you need help or advice with anything else please contact the Student Centre.