Skip to main content

Working With Children Checks and clearances

If you are completing a ‘child-related’ placement as part of your course at the University, you will need to get a Working With Children Check. If you are completing an education course, you'll also need to complete anaphylaxis training.

  1. Working With Children Check
  2. Anaphylaxis training

Working With Children Check

The Working With Children Check involves a criminal record check and review of findings of misconduct involving children.

You can find information about the check in the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012 and regulation.

How to apply

Your faculty or school will let you know if you need to complete a Working With Children Check.

You can apply for a check on the Working With Children Check website. While you are on placement you are considered a volunteer, so do not have to pay an application fee for your check.

If you have a placement outside NSW, it is quite likely you’ll need to get a State/Territory specific check relating to working with children and/or vulnerable people. The placement team in your faculty or school will give you information on the specific checks you need. Allow up to six weeks for the application process for these additional checks.

What happens next

If your check provides clearance, the Office of the Children’s Guardian will issue you with a Working With Children Check number. This can be used for any paid or voluntary child-related work in NSW.

You will need to provide this number to the University and your placement provider.

If your check identifies that you are a disqualified person, you will be unable to apply for or undertake a child-related placement. Information on disqualifying offences is outlined in the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012.

Education placements

You will need to provide your Working With Children Check number through myPrac. You will also need to provide it to your school on the first day of your placement. 

Last updated: 02 May 2017


Tell us if there is anything wrong with this page

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

This is for feedback on the website only. If you need help or advice with anything else please contact the Student Centre.