Skip to main content

Course checks and clearances

For students going on work placements

If you’re completing a clinical or work placement as part of your course, there are certain government-regulated checks and clearances you’ll need to get first. 

What you need to know…

Clinical placements

To ensure your safety and that of other students, staff and patients, all students completing a clinical placement need to become formally verified to work in a NSW Health facility.

This means complying with immunisation and health-screening policies, and providing a criminal background check from the NSW or federal police force. Refer to our checklist below for a complete list of required documents to process your verification.

The requirements of verification are mandatory – if you cannot meet them, you cannot attend a clinical placement and this may affect your ability to progress in your degree.

For more information, visit the NSW Health Clinical Placement Information website. The Health Education and Training Institute also has guiding information, or email us at

Working with children check

The Working With Children Check involves a National Police Certificate and review of findings of misconduct involving children.

Your faculty will advise you if you need to apply for a Working with Children Check before your placement.

If your outcome is a clearance, the check can be used for any child-related work (paid or voluntary) in NSW.

Students, volunteers and those who are already in paid child-related work don’t need to apply for the new check now; it will be phased in over a five-year period (up to 2018) according to the industry sector.

Please note that students on a professional placement are considered volunteers and are not liable for the application fee.

Under the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012, it is an offence for a disqualified person to apply for, attempt to obtain, undertake or remain in child-related employment.

If we become aware that a student is a disqualified person, we cannot refer that student to a child-related placement or allow a placement to continue. 

Schedule 2 of the Act lists disqualifying offences that will automatically bar you from working with children. A person convicted of (or awaiting trial for) any of these offences will be barred automatically.

Student disclosure for placements in health and human services

The University is required to take appropriate measures to safeguard the health and safety of its students and people who may be affected by a student’s activities, including while on professional or clinical placement.

You need to take reasonable care for your own health and safety, and that of others.

You also need to inform us if you have an impairment that is likely to affect your capacity to  fulfil safely the core requirements of a professional or clinical placement.

In this context, an impairment refers to a physical disability, condition or disorder (including substance abuse or dependence).

We’re required by legislation to notify the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) of students who have an impairment that, during the course of a clinical placement as part of their degree, may place the public at substantial risk of harm.

Your information is collected for the purpose of assisting the University of Sydney to exercise its duty of care to students who are undertaking clinical placements and those who may be affected by a student’s activities on placement.

The information will be held by the University and will not be disclosed outside the University without your consent except where required or authorised by law.

You have the right to access and correct personal information about you held by the University.

Bulk verification

If you're required to complete a NSW health and/or criminal record check to complete your enrolment, we’ll let you know a time and date.

You’ll need to attend your session on campus, in person, during which representatives from the NSW Ministry of Health will check your documents and evidence for compliance.

If you have not been notified of a time and day, this means your session will be held later in the year.

Bulk verification sessions take place for all students enrolled in the following degreees:

  • Bachelor and Master of Social Work
  • Bachelor and Master of Pharmacy
  • Nursing
  • Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Bachelor and Master of Pharmacy
  • Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise Physiology)
  • Master of Exercise Physiology
  • Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology)
  • Master of Physiotherapy
  • Master of Speech Language Pathology

Going on a clinical placement?

To be verified to work in a NSW Health facility, please bring the following completed forms to your faculty’s bulk verification session.
Student Placement Clearance Summary Sheet
Download the form.
Vaccination Record Card for Health Care Students – completed by a GP or vaccination provider
Download the form.
Information sheet on immunisation compliance for your GP
Download the form.
Tuberculosis (TB) assessment tool
Download the form.
Tuberculosis (TB) assessment tool – student declaration
Download the form.
Code of Conduct Agreement for students undertaking clinical placements
Download the agreement.
National Police Certificate from the NSW Police Force (domestic students only). Note that your name on this form should match the name on your student ID exactly
Apply now through NSW Police Checks Online
National Police Certificate from the Australian Federal Police (international students only). Note that your name on this form should match the name on your student ID exactly
Apply now through the AFP National Police Checks Online
National Criminal Record Check from your home country, or any country in which you have been a citizen or permanent resident

Contact us

1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444

Student Centre, Level 3 (temporarily relocated to Level 2, above the SciTech Library)
Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday