Skip to main content

University Privacy Statement

Your privacy is important to us

Find out how we use the personal information you provide during enrolment.

The University will collect, manage, use and disclose personal information in accordance with relevant legislation. The Information Protection Principles contained in the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 govern all matters related to personal information in the University.

By completing the various parts of the enrolment process, you are supplying the University of Sydney with information about yourself. The University needs this information to maintain a record of your enrolment and academic achievements, communicate with you, assist you if you have a disability or if you are not meeting academic progression requirements and to maintain contact with you when you have graduated. The University may also use your contact details to attempt to contact or locate you or to notify the relevant authority if there are reasonable grounds to be concerned about your welfare or safety.

The information you supply, together with the record of your academic achievements, is stored in the University student system and is made available to the faculties and departments relevant to your studies and to administrative sections of the University in connection with your studies, enrolment, possible career opportunities and other University activities. Information will also be disclosed to relevant government departments and agencies in accordance with their directives. Much of the information collected from you is required by Department of Education, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and the Australian Taxation Office. The University is not permitted to accept your enrolment unless the required information is provided.

Under amendments made to the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HES Act) in 2012 the Department of Education is able to disclose personal information from the University to the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Authority; the Australian Skills Quality Authority; state and territory governments; tertiary admissions centres; higher education and vocational education providers for the purposes of the Act; Universities Australia; the Australian Council for Private Education and the Council of Private Higher Education. Any personal information so disclosed is protected by the HES Act.

If you were admitted to the University via the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC), the University returns a portion of the data originally supplied by that organisation as confirmation of your acceptance of the offer of enrolment they made to you on behalf of the University. All students in receipt of a Centrelink payment can also expect to have their study circumstances reported automatically to Centrelink via the Centrelink Academic Reassessment Transformation facility.

If you are undertaking an approved program of study that leads to registration as a health practitioner, the University is authorised and required to provide the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency with certain information collected as part of your enrolment and about your enrolment status. The University is also required to provide the NSW Ministry of Health with certain information regarding students who will be undertaking placements in NSW Health facilities. This information is reported directly via the Ministry of Health’s ClinConnect Student Module and will be used to assign students to placements and to record students’ compliance with NSW Health policy and legislative requirements.

If you are a resident at one of the residential colleges affiliated with the University, a copy of your results may be supplied to your college each semester. Your college will request that you complete a form authorising the University to provide the results to them, which they will send to the University. If you are a postgraduate research student, your name and current working topic may be published in electronic or printed media highlighting research at the University. If you do not want these details published you should inform the dean of your faculty in writing.

A digital photograph of each student is stored electronically on the University’s card management system. The photographs are reproduced on University student campus cards and are also available to faculties and departments for legitimate University purposes. An electoral roll of students at the University is provided to recognised student organisations each year to enable the conduct of elections. In addition, your contact details will be provided to the student organisations you have expressed a desire to join.

The University may access student records to identify students to receive information about particular employment opportunities in the University and outside. No employer or sponsor will be provided with your results or other personal information without your consent in advance. The University will confirm your graduate status (only your name, degree(s) conferred and date(s) awarded) on receipt of a written request without seeking your consent.

Other than the exceptions above, the University does not disclose personal information about students (including photographs) except with the consent of the student concerned, or where required or authorised by law. You have the right to access and correct any personal information concerning you held by the University in the student and financial databases. Routine corrections, changes and enquiries should, in the first instance, be directed to your faculty office.