Skip to main content

Paying your fees

We offer five ways to pay your course fees.

Whether you’re a domestic or international student, you need to ensure payment is settled by the due date shown on your financial statement.

Once your enrolment is complete, you can view your Student Financial Statement through Sydney Student (go to ‘My finances’, ‘Your finances’, then ‘View financial statements’). This statement outlines your tuition fees payable, and their due date.

A separate statement for your Student Services and Amenities fee will be available in May for Semester 1 and October for Semester 2.

You need to settle payment by the due date or your enrolment may be cancelled.

If you’ve opted for a HELP loan, you can make a voluntary partial payment through Sydney Student during the partial payment window which opens 7 days before the census date (go to ‘My finance’, ‘Your finances’, ‘Government forms’, then ‘Partial payment’). You are only able to make one partial payment per semester so if you experience any issues or would like to amend your payment, contact us.

Payment methods


You’ll find a BPay Customer Reference Number (CRN) on your Student Financial Statement.

When completing a payment include your unique CRN and quote our biller code: 252957.

To complete a BPay transaction, log in to Sydney Student and go to ‘My finance’, followed by ‘Your finances’, and then select ‘Payment method’.

Alternatively, most financial institutions allow you to pay via BPay using phone or internet banking.

For more information, visit


We accept online payments by MasterCard and Visa only.

If you’re paying in Australian dollars, log in to the ‘My finance’ section of Sydney Student and go to ‘Your finances’, followed by ‘Payment method’, and then select ‘Pay online’.

If you’re paying in overseas currency, go to, select ‘Credit card' or 'Bank to bank' and enter your details.

Western Union

We have partnered with Western Union to give international students a quick, secure way to pay their fees online.

You can opt to pay with telegraphic transfer, or with Visa or Mastercard. Both options allow you to pay in local currency, if available.

Ensure you have your payment instructions (provided by the University with your letter of offer) handy, as this contains a Western Union payment reference that will identify your payment and correctly credit your student account.

Paying by Western Union is the fastest way to receive your Confirmation of Enrolment, which will allow you to submit your visa application earlier.

If you’re paying in overseas currency, go to select ‘Credit card' or 'Bank to bank' and enter your details.

Over the phone

We accept payments over the phone by MasterCard and Visa only.

Phone 1300 732 076 and enter your student number when prompted. You will need to have your Student Financial Statement on hand to complete the transaction.


Payment by mail is restricted to cheque, draft or money order made payable to 'The University of Sydney'.

Domestic students mail your payment to:

Financial Control and Treasury
Level 4, Margaret Telfer Building (K07)
The University of Sydney NSW 2006


International students mail your payment to:

Head of Finance and Student Administration
Student Administration Services
Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building (G02)
160 City Road
The University of Sydney NSW 2006

Applying for a refund

You may be entitled to a refund of your course fees under some circumstances. For example:

  • if you're a domestic student and you have withdrawn from a unit of study before the relevant census date
  • if you're an international postgraduate research student and you submit your thesis before the census date within a research period you have already paid for.

If you are eligible, you will receive a refund, provided that:

  • the refund complies with all University policies and procedures
  • all relevant applications (such as a leave or withdrawal request) are submitted to your faculty by the closing dates
  • your Student Financial Statement (viewable on Sydney Student) shows that you have a credit balance.

All relevant information needs to be provided to us before the end of semester. If not, your credit will automatically roll over towards next semester fees, where applicable.

If your account is in credit you can request a refund through Sydney Student (go to ‘My finance’, then ‘Your finances’, ‘Continue’, then ‘Request refund’).

Contact us for more information on refunds.

Contact us

1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444

Student Centre, Level 3
Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday