Skip to main content

Student Services and Amenities fee

Funding services to support your student experience

Your Student Services and Amenities fee (SSAF) funds services and non-academic support programs that can be used by all students. 

Introduced by the Australian Government in 2012, the fee pays for a range of services and amenities.

These include eateries, legal assistance, student advocacy, religious support, childcare, accommodation services, sports and recreational clubs and societies, and arts programs.

There are strict rules around the way your fee is used. We engage student representatives in extensive consultation to identify key funding priorities based on student feedback. Read about the 2015 SSAF allocation.

Fee facts

How much is the fee?

We charge the fee per semester, based on your total study load for that semester. Below are the rates for 2015:

  • Full time: $143.00
  • Part time: $107.25

When it is due?

The next due date is displayed on your Student Services and Amenities Fee statement, which you can view in Sydney Student. It is a separate statement to your tuition fees.

The due dates each year are 12 May and 12 October.

Who has to pay it?

Most students (coursework and research), are liable for the SSAF at the University of Sydney.

The following groups are exempt:

  • students enrolled at the University of Sydney in a cross-institutional program
  • students enrolled in a course charged at an offshore fee rate
  • domestic and international students enrolled in the formal Study Abroad and Exchange programs
  • if you enrolled only in Summer or Winter School units of study offered by the University’s Sydney Summer School
  • commencing and continuing students enrolled in the Bachelor of Nursing Post-Registration and Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) program delivered in agreement with the Singapore Institute of Management
  • continuing students enrolled in the Sydney Law School Taxation Training Program
  • continuing international offshore students enrolled in the Graduate Diploma/Master of Museum Studies undertaking the course in Hong Kong through the HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education
  • international students attending the University of Sydney on a formal exchange program from an overseas institution
  • University of Western Australia students participating in the United States Studies Centre’s Washington DC or Los Angeles Placement Program.

Can I defer the fee?

You can choose to pay the fee upfront, or apply for an SA-HELP loan from the Australian Government. This loan allows you to defer all or part of your fee to the Australian Taxation Office.

To be eligible for SA-HELP you need to be residing in Australia for at least one unit of study and be one of the following:

  • an Australian citizen 
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder residing in Australia for your duration of study
  • a permanent visa holder undertaking a bridging course for overseas-trained professionals.

You can apply for SA-HELP through Sydney Student. You need to do this before the next SSAF payable date (12 May or 12 October).

What if I discontinue my course?

If you withdraw from your course or discontinue all units of study on or before the date the fee is payable, you will not be liable for the fee, and you will not incur a SA-HELP debt.

However, under the Higher Education Support Act (2003), if you discontinue your enrolment after the date the fee is payable, you will still be liable for the fee, and it will not be refunded where paid upfront or remitted your SA-HELP debt if deferred.