Skip to main content

Check your eligibility

Read and understand our eligibility criteria

Before you apply, explore the program options and talk with your faculty, college or school to understand any course restrictions or conditions on your eligibility.

If you're currently enrolled at Sydney, you may be eligible for the International Exchange Program as an outbound student. It lets you undertake approved study at one of our partner universities around the world.

You can apply for inbound student exchange if you're enrolled at one of our partner universities. With our exchange program, you can enrol in full-time studies here at the University of Sydney and gain credit for one or more semesters with the approval of your home institution. Our tuition fees are waived while you're here.

If your university or college isn't one of our partner universities, you may still be eligible as an inbound student with our Sydney Abroad program. It lets you enrol in full-time studies at Sydney and gain credit for one or two semesters with the approval of your home institution. Note that you will have to pay tuition fees for any courses you enrol in.

To be considered for the exchange or Sydney Abroad program, you need to meet our eligibility requirements.

Inbound students (coming to Sydney)

Academic requirements

To be considered for the Sydney Abroad or student exchange programs you will normally have completed at least one year of study towards a degree at a recognised institution in your home country and be continuing towards the degree at your home institution.

Students seeking admission straight from an overseas high school may be eligible under certain conditions.

You need to have achieved a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale, or an average grade of 'C' or better on the European ECTS grading scale (or equivalent).

You’ll also need a letter of nomination from your home institution if you are applying for the exchange program.

Postgraduate applicants

If you wish to study at postgraduate level, in either postgraduate coursework or postgraduate research, you need to have completed the equivalent of an Australian bachelor's degree and submit substantiating evidence (testamur).

If you are a postgraduate research applicants, you need to have written support from your supervisor in your home university, and from a supervisor at the University of Sydney who has agreed to support your research while you are on exchange at the University of Sydney. We also require a one-page research proposal.

The options available depend on your student status and the duration of the research you plan to undertake.

  • The Postgraduate Research Exchange Program (6-12 months) is ideal if you are from a partner university and undertaking research as part of your degree. Tuition fees are waived.
  • The Postgraduate Research Study Abroad Program (6-12 months) is ideal if you are not at a partner university, but you are undertaking research as part of your degree. Tuition fees apply.
  • Training and Research (less than six months) is for short-term occupational training, visiting academics and PhD students, or professional development programs.

Sydney Abroad internship program applicants

If you wish to participate in the Sydney Abroad Internship Program, you need to meet additional eligibility criteria.

Language requirements

All lectures are taught in English.

If English is not your first language, you will need to demonstrate English proficiency by meeting the minimum score of one of the English language test methods below:

  • IELTS – overall score of 6.5, with a minimum 6.0 in reading, listening, speaking and writing
  • TOEFL iBT – overall score of 85, with a writing minimum of 19 and reading, listening and speaking minimum of 17
  • TOEFL PBT – overall score of 565 with a writing minimum of 4.5
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) – overall score of 58, with a borderline section minimum
  • Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) – overall score of 45
  • Cambridge English Scale (from 2015) – overall score of 176, with 176 section minimum
  • Pearsons Test of English (PTE) academic test – overall score of 61, with a 54 section minimum.

Or by completing the International Baccalaureate (IB), provided you meet the following:

  • Completion of English A1 or Language A: Literature at Higher or Standard level
  • Completion of English A2 or Language A: Language and Literature at Higher or Standard level
  • Completion of English B at Higher Level with a Grade of 4 or more
  • Completion of English B at Standard Level with a Grade of 5 or more.

Alternatively, if you can provide evidence that you’ve already completed a full-time year of study in an English-speaking country, or at a university where the language of instruction is English, this may be sufficient to demonstrate proficiency, subject to assessment and approval.

If you cannot satisfy our language criteria, consider taking a direct entry English course at our Centre for English Teaching.


Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens cannot apply for the Sydney Abroad program. If you are nominated by your home university under a partnership agreement, you may be able to apply for the exchange program.

Stephen Boardman

BA Informatics, Albert-Ludwigs Universität, Germany
"I was lucky enough to get into the Qantas IT Graduate Program. There were 20 positions on offer, with a staggering 5000 applicants. My exchange was one of the deciding factors in how I differentiated myself from the rest of the field."