Skip to main content

Enrolment and credit transfer

How to enrol and gain credit for your studies

Whether you're coming to Sydney or heading overseas, stay enrolled with your home university while you take subjects at your host university and you'll get credit when you complete your study. 

Enrolment in your first semester

Once you have received an unconditional offer, you will need to accept your offer formally before you can enrol. 

You can do this by accepting your offer online or completing the acceptance of offer form and emailing it to

As part of your acceptance, you'll need to select your preferred units of study up to a full-time load of 24 credit points (usually four units of study).

If you're studying with us as a Sydney Abroad student, you will need to pay your tuition fees. If you are a scholarship recipient, you will also need to provide a letter of financial guarantee confirming payment for tuition fees and health insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover) before acceptance.

Exchange is a fee-waiver program, so there are no tuition fees.

You will have the opportunity to confirm your preferred units of study (as submitted at the time of application) closer to the start of semester, with guidance from a Sydney Abroad adviser.

To enrol online, you will need a UniKey login that will be sent to you with a temporary password once your offer has been accepted.

During the enrolment process, you will update personal and contact details, view the units of study you have selected, pay any outstanding fees, and upload a photo for your student ID.

If you change your mind and would like to take units of study not listed in your application, you will have the opportunity to change them during the Orientation period once you arrive in Sydney. Variations of enrolment are allowed up to the end of Week 1 of semester. To do this, email your adviser with your request.

Re-enrolling for second semester

If you are a Sydney Abroad student continuing on to a second semester of study, you will need to submit a unit of study enrolment form to the International Services office on Level 4, Jane Foss Russell Building.

We can seek approval on your behalf where required then submit your units of study.

Transfer of credit

We release results shortly after the official end of semester. We will send two copies of your official transcript to your sponsoring organisation/home institution, or to you directly.


When your exchange application has been approved by your local faculty in Sydney as well as the host university abroad, you will be able to enrol in generic exchange units, most of which are worth six credit points each.

Your exact enrolment will be based upon the specifications outlined in the academic approval form for a nominated exchange applicant, signed by your faculty.

While generic matches mean you don't need to find overseas courses that are the same as those at the University of Sydney, it is still very important to ensure that the courses you take at your host university are suitable for your degree requirements and are approved for credit by your faculty.

To see a full list of generic exchange units available for outbound exchange students:

  1. Go to Find a course
  2. In the drop-down box next to the Search button select ‘Units of study’
  3. In the Search field type ‘Exchange’, and select search.

This will provide you with the codes of all generic exchange units in a particular discipline.

You can only enrol in these units once you have formal permission from your home faculty.

You cannot add exchange units using web enrolment-variation facilities. If you’re unable to get to university in person to do this, you can have someone do it on your behalf as enrolment by proxy.

For information on how to enrol in your subjects overseas, refer to the course brochure and enrolment support material available on the host university website.

Transferring credit

At the end of your studies abroad, your host university will normally send your final academic transcript to your exchange adviser at the University of Sydney.

We will forward this to your faculty, which will use your official overseas transcript and any other required documents to credit your overseas results towards your degree.

The overseas subjects in which you enrol will not appear on your University of Sydney transcript. All generic exchange units of study will appear on your Sydney transcript with results of ‘SR’ (Satisfied Requirements). Exchange results are not counted in your WAM (Weighted Average Mark) or AAM (Annual Average Mark).

You can request a copy of your overseas transcript from your host university to keep as part of your academic record and for your CV.

Simon Goldrei

Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced) Honours, University of California, Santa Cruz
“I made friends at the most fun company (Apple) in the world. Now I live again in Santa Cruz and have joined their team, to work on their most exciting technologies. What more is left to be said?”

Browse our exchange database