Skip to main content

Academic records

Access your study records no matter when you graduated

Find out how to obtain different types of record of your study, whether you are a current student or have completed your studies.

Academic records

Academic transcript

An academic transcript is a complete record of your studies at the University. It includes all units of study (attempted and completed) and your grade for each unit. If you have been enrolled in more than one course, it lists all courses and all units studied at the University. It is not possible to separate degrees.

You receive an official academic transcript when your degree is conferred, and you can download your own unofficial transcripts from Sydney Student.

Your official academic transcript provides confirmation of your qualification and can demonstrate your aptitude for specific skills or areas of study in job applications or in applications for further study.  It is also recognised by professional associations, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and other government departments.  

The final result on your official academic transcript will be awarded at one of the following grades:

Diploma or Advanced Diploma

  • pass;
  • pass with merit;
  • pass with distinction;
  • pass with high distinction.

A Bachelor’s degree

  • pass;
  • pass with honours.

Degrees of Master by coursework may be conferred, and Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates may be awarded, only at a pass grade.

Information on cost and requesting an academic transcript can be found under requesting an academic record.

For more information on transcripts please see the University of Sydney (Coursework) Rule 2014.

Degree certificate (testamur)

A testamur is the legal certification of your degree. It contains your name, the course you completed, and the date it was conferred, signed by the Vice-Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Registrar) and the Dean of the Faculty in which you have completed your degree.

Testamurs can be used to demonstrate your qualifications to employers and to industry, education institutions and professional bodies or associations. It is recognised worldwide.

If you require a replacement testamur, please refer to requesting an academic record below.

Certificate of graduate status

If you have already attended a graduation ceremony you can obtain a certificate of graduate status. This statement lists your name, degree/s name and graduation date/s, but not your units of study. The certificate of graduate status is printed on official stationary and is not the same as your degree certificate (testamur).  It can be used to confirm completion of your qualification.

Information on cost and requesting a certificate of graduate status can be found under requesting an academic record.

Completion letter

Once you've completed your studies and your eligibility to graduate has been confirmed, your completion letter will be available in Sydney Student (go to 'My studies', then 'Assessments'). This will occur in the weeks after the release of your final results but we’ll email you to let you know once it’s available.

Your completion letter can be used to confirm completion of your qualification to professional bodies and associations, and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Unfortunately we’re not able to provide hard copies of your completion letter at the Student Centre.

Certificate of current enrolment

As a current student, you can access a certificate of current enrolment.  This document can be used in instances where you need to demonstrate your enrolment at the university.  This includes most visa applications, government departments, insurance and financial institutions, employers, scholarships, Jury Duty, accommodation and student discounts.  

The certificate of enrolment includes your student ID, name, DOB, status (full or part time), course and units of study that you are enrolled in for the current academic year.

Your certificate of enrolment is available in Sydney Student.  Go to 'My studies', then 'Enrolment'. 

If you require further information not included on the certificate of current enrolment, please complete a request for letter form. 

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) authentication

Australian documents being used overseas sometimes need additional government legalisation to ensure that they meet the requirements of foreign goverments. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) provides an authentication and apostille service for this purpose.

If you require your academic transcript or degree certificate (testamur) authenticated by DFAT, you will first need to bring the original, plus any photocopies that you require, to the Student Centre to be signed by an authorised staff member. The process usually takes 10-15 minutes and you don't need to make an appointment.

Please note that the Student Centre can only sign the following documents:

academic transcripts, certificates of graduate status, degree certificates, confirmation of enrolment notices, results notices, and letters issued by the Student Centre. Other documents must be notarised by an Australian Notary Public.

Requesting an academic record

In person

If you studied at the University of Sydney after 1981, you can order an academic transcript or certificate of graduate status from our Student Centre (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday). You will need photo ID.

By post

If you are unable to attend in person, or you were first enrolled before 1981 or at an amalgamated college, you will need to request that your transcripts are mailed to you. Download and fill in the request for academic transcript form (890KB PDF).

You need to sign the form in the same way as it appears on your driver’s licence, passport, or other identification document that requires a 100 point ID check to obtain. It takes three to five days to process requests. Records from amalgamated colleges or from before 1981 can take up to three weeks. Please allow for mailing time.

Academic transcripts and certificates of graduate status are sent by standard post or airmail, but for a small additional cost you can opt for express delivery or delivery to multiple addresses. We do not provide electronic copies of your transcript.

Post to:

Academic Records
Student Centre
Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building (G02)
The University of Sydney NSW 2006


  • $15 for one copy
  • $20 for two copies
  • $10 for each additional copy

Please note records from amalgamated colleges or from before 1981 can take up to three weeks.


If you cannot obtain a transcript yourself, you can arrange for someone else to collect it on your behalf. You will need to fill out a Transcript Proxy Authorisation form.

You can order a replacement testamur (degree certificate) if your original has been lost, stolen, damaged or if your name has legally changed.

You are legally permitted to have only one testamur in your possession for each degree that you complete.

A replacement testamur must be requested through our Graduations Office. If you have any questions, email us at

How to order a replacement testamur

Download the application for a replacement testamur (674KB PDF). 

You need to submit your application by the deadline for the relevant upcoming conferral date

Post the completed form (we cannot accept faxed or scanned copies) to:

Graduations Office
Student Centre
Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building (G02)
The University of Sydney NSW 2006

If you have lost or had your testamur stolen, you will need to include a statutory declaration signed by an appropriate authority. If you are overseas, a sworn statement signed by a public notary or appropriate authority is accepted. Learn more about statutory declarations.

Testamurs that are damaged, or where a change of name is required, need to be returned to us before a replacement is issued. If you are returning your original testamur, you don’t need to complete a statutory declaration.

Your replacement testamur will be produced in the current testamur style and ‘Replacement testamur’ will be printed at the right-hand corner.

Your name will appear on your testamur as it is recorded on our records. You can request to amend your details using our Change of Personal Details form.

Fees and delivery

Processing time will vary as we need to wait until the next conferral date to process your testamur.

A replacement testamur costs $95 and can be collected in person or sent to you via registered post. If we need to post your testamur overseas, it will cost $120. Payment can be made by credit card.

You can authorise someone else to collect your replacement on your behalf by including the full name of your proxy on the application form. They will need to present photo identification at the time of collection.

Employers, agencies and other people can contact our Academic Records office to:

  • verify the qualifications of a former student of the University of Sydney
  • verify the authenticity of a particular document, such as an academic transcript.

To do this, you need to submit a written request to:


Academic Records
Student Centre
Level 4, Jane Foss Russell Building (G02)
The University of Sydney NSW 2006
Fax: +61 2 8627 8284

The request must include:

  • student’s full name
  • student’s date of birth
  • student's ID number (if known)
  • a copy of the document to be verified (if applicable)

If the former student supplies a signed, written authorisation, additional details such as major or enrolment dates may also be released.

It takes three working days to process requests.

Contact us


Student Centre, Level 3
Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday