Skip to main content

Your student card

The passport to life at the University of Sydney

The card you receive after enrolment identifies you as a student of the University, and provides many benefits on and off campus.

Not just proof of identity, your student card opens doors to campus facilities (literally), allows you to borrow from the library, and gives you access to a wide range of travel and student discounts. It is valid for the duration of your course.

How to get your student card

  • Enrol online via Sydney Student
  • Upload a passport-style photo
  • Wait to receive confirmation by email when your card is ready for pick up
  • Collect your card from the location advised in your confirmation email (you’ll need photographic proof of identification).

If you didn't upload a photo during your enrolment, you can log back in to Sydney Student at a later time to complete this step (go to 'My Studies', then 'Enrolment' and select 'Upload photo').

Using your card to enter secure areas

Do you need access to a 24-hour study centre after-hours? Just swipe or tap your student card in the reader mounted by the door and wait for the beep.

Depending on your course, you may also be allowed to enter laboratories or other faculty-specific areas. To add this level of access, ask your faculty to contact the Campus Assist helpdesk (+61 2 9351 7838) to organise this on your behalf.

Replacing your card

You need to keep your student card with you at all times on campus.

If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, apply for a replacement in person at the Student Centre, or online on our website.

You’ll need to pay a $25 administrative fee.

Travel concessions

You can get a NSW Tertiary Student Concession if you meet the eligibility criteria specified by Transport for NSW. This entitles you to half-fare tickets on most public transport services in NSW.

You will need to apply for a Concession Opal card. To get one, you will need to give consent for us to share your details with Transport for NSW. This is part of the online enrolment (or re-enrolment) process at the University.

When you have a Concession Opal card, you should carry your student card with you as proof of your Concession Opal entitlement.

Summer or Winter School students

If you are only enrolled at the Summer or Winter School (and not also enrolled as a student in Semester 1 or 2), you are not eligible for a student card or a Concession Opal card.

However, you can still get a library borrower's card – visit the Student Centre to get your card made.

Campus Cards


Student Centre, Level 3
Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Student Centre