Support Groups and Related Links
Studying at University can be challenging at the best of times and having a disability can add to the stress a student may experience. It is important to know that you are not alone and that there are others who are experiencing or have experienced similar challenges. The following links are provided to put you in contact with support groups inside and outside of the University, so that you are able to gain (or offer) help from people in similar circumstances.
On this page you will find information provided in the following support options:
- Internal Support Networks
- External Support Networks
- Disability Information
- Government Departments
- Assistive Technology
Internal Support Networks
Counselling and Psychological Services
The Counselling Service is a free and confidential service for all local and international students to assist in the development of skills and techniques to manage social, academic and personal difficulties. Group programs are available to all students. Go to our website to download information sheets, worksheets and MP3 tracks.
External Support Networks
Links to various networks are provided for the following areas:
Mental Health Disorders
Physical and Medical Disabilities
Visual / Sight Disabilities
- Breast Cancer Action Group
- Cancer Council Australia
- Cancer Council of NSW
- Can Assist - Cancer Assistance Network
- NSW Breast Cancer Institute
- Australian Hodgkin's Lymphoma Network
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia
- Leukaemia Foundation
- Cancer Buddies Network
- Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses
- Australian Caption Centre (Red Bee Media)
- Australian Communication Exchange
- Australian Deafness Directory
- Australian Hearing (Equipment and Aids)
- Better Hearing Australia (Sydney Branch)
- Deaf Education Network
- Deaf Society of NSW
- Deafness Forum of Australia
- Deaf Sports Australia
- SHHH - Self Help for Hard of Hearing People
- ADHD Fact File – ABC Health & Wellbeing
- AICAFMHA - Australian Infant, Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health Association
- Anxiety Panic Hub
- Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect)
- Eating Disorders Foundation
- Eating Disorders Association
- HyperActivity Attention Deficit Association
- Mental Health Association NSW
- Beyond Blue - The National Depression Initiative
- Mental Help Net
- Multicultural Mental Health Australia
- NNAAMI - National Network of Adult and Adolescent Children who have a Mentally Ill Parent
- SANE Australia
- Transcultural Mental Health Centre
- BlackDog Institute
- Anxiety Disorders Support and Information (ADSI)
- Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Aspergers Services Australia
- Australian Centre for Addiction Research
- Addiction Support Group Links
- Healthline resources for bipolar disorder
- Access Brain Injury Service
- Alzheimer’s Australia
- Amputee Association of NSW
- Australian Huntington's Disease Association
- Australasian Tuberous Sclerosis Society
- Developmental Delay Resources (DDR)
- Fragile X Association of Australia
- ME/CFS Australia
- Motor Neurone Disease Association of NSW
- Multiple Sclerosis Australia
- NSW Council for Intellectual Disability
- National Stroke Foundation
- Stroke Recovery Association of NSW
- Post-Polio Network
- Parkinson's NSW
- Multiple Sclerosis International Federation
- Tourette Syndrome Association of Australia
- Tardive Dyskinesia (TD Center)
- Arthritis Australia
- Arthritis NSW
- Asthma Foundation NSW
- CP Australia
- Australian Crohn's and Colitis Association
- Kidney Health Australia
- Australian Pituitary Foundation
- Continence Foundation of Australia
- Diabetes Australia
- The Jean Hailes Foundation for Women's Health (Endometriosis)
- Epilepsy Action
- Headache Australia (Headache and Pain Clinics)
- Lupus Association NSW
- Lymphoedema Association of Australia
- Lymphoedema Support Group of NSW
- Muscular Dystrophy Australia
- Heart Foundation of Australia
- Pain Management Research Institute
- Pain World
- Paraquad NSW
- Physical Disability Council of Australia
- Physical Disability Council of NSW
- Spastic Centre
- Spinal Cord Injuries Australia (SCIA)
- Australian Support Dogs (ASDOG)
- Assistance Dogs Australia
- Independent Living Centre NSW
- Healthline provides a very comprehensive overview of Type 2 Diabetes
- Australian DeafBlind Council
- Blind Citizens Australia
- Hugh Sasse’s Blindness - Resource Page
- Vision Australia
- Guide Dogs NSW/ACT
General Disability Information
- The National Council on Intellectual Disability (NCID) is the national association representing people with intellectual disability and their families in Australia.
- Disability Information Network Australia (DINA) is a group of disability information providers with interest in resource and information sharing and networking.
- NICAN is information on recreation, tourism, sport and the arts for people with disabilities and supports an Australian society where any recreational opportunity values diversity, supports freedom and choice and strengthens inclusive communities.
- National Disability Services (NDS) NDS is a national body with a membership of over 600 non profit organisations who provide a range of services and supports to people with disabilities. The NDS Board of Directors is elected from the membership. NDS's mission is to drive the development of quality services and life opportunities for people with disability.
- Sydney For All is a website listing of accessible activities and attractions around Sydney.
- NDCO - National Disability Coordination Officer Program works toward the Australia-wide coordination and delivery of transition services for people with a disability who are at, or who will be attending, university, vocational education and training or another training organisation.
- Creating Accessible teaching & Support (CATS) is focussed on providing university staff with information that will assist them to make education more accessible to students with disability.
- The Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs is responsible for income support, housing policy, community support, disability services, child care services and family issues, including family payments, child support and family relationships.
- Centrelink is a government agency delivering a range of Commonwealth services to the Australian community.
- CRS Australia delivers vocational rehabilitation services to Australian citizens or residents who have an injury, disability or health condition. We assist people who have a disability or injury to get a job or return to their job.
- Department of Aging, Disability & Home Care has information on areas of interest for people with a disability.
- The Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) provides independent review of a wide range of administrative decisions made by the Australian government and some non-government bodies.
- Disability Rights - Policy and Projects within the Australian Human Rights Commission provides a range of resources and links on disability discrimination and other human rights and disability issues.
- OzNet Law provides information on disability discrimination.