External students

External Students
Non-Award Students
Cross-Institutional Students
Obtaining a transcript for Summer/Winter study

External Students

External students are students who wish enrol into a single units of study, without advancing to an award such as a degree at The University of Sydney. External students may enrol on a Cross-Institutional or Non-Award basis.

We invite applications from:

  • local Australian students from any tertiary institution in Australia;
  • overseas students currently enrolled at any Australian educational institution who have a valid Student visa;
  • overseas students visiting Australia who have a valid Tourist visa (eg Study Abroad or Exchange students, students from institutional partners, gap-year students or other students enrolled in an overseas University);
  • members of the public who meet the educational qualifications required by the faculty.

Non-Award Students

Students who wish to undertake one or more units of study for their own interest but not towards a degree, may enrol in single units as a non-award student.

Domestic and International external applicants including students enrolled in overseas universities may enrol in a Summer or Winter School unit of study on a Non-Award basis.
You can apply for non-award admission as preliminary work for a higher degree, for professional requirements or because of an interest in the area, it is also a great way to test the waters of University life as Non Award study allows you to enrol in a single unit of study without advancing to a degree.

Applicants must meet prerequisites and English language requirements, or any special entry requirements for their chosen unit of study (this information is available through the Unit of Study list.

Please Note: Admission into a Non Award course in Summer School requires upfront payment of fees and HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP is not available.

Please click here for information on how to apply.

Cross-Institutional Students

Cross-institutional study allows domestic students enrolled at either a local or interstate university to undertake a Summer or Winter School unit of study. Successful completion of your unit can be credited to your degree at your home Institution.

Please obtain advice from your home institution prior to applying that your selected unit/s will be credited towards your enrolled course.

Domestic students from other Australian universities may be eligible for to defer fees to HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP.

Please click here for information on how to apply for Winter School.

Please note LAWS units are not available for cross-institutional or non-award students.

Obtaining a transcript for Summer/Winter study

On successful completion of your subject, you will need to apply to the Student Centre for an academic transcript. Information on obtaining your academic transcript is available on the Student Administration website.