External Students

How to enrol

International or domestic students enrolled at either a local, interstate or overseas university may apply to undertake a summer or winter unit of study on a non-award basis. This is known as cross-institutional study and your successful completion of your unit can be credited to your degree at your home Institution.

External students should go to the subjects page to assess unit availability, the timetables, tuition fee rates and prerequisite information before applying. Under each unit description there will be a link to the appropriate non-award or cross-institutional course for new applicants and you the follow the steps through the Sydney Student portal to register your application. (Sydney Student is the University's online, student self-administration service for current students, used to update personal details, enrolment information, manage finances and many other candidature-related tasks.)

If there are prerequisites for your chosen subject you are also required to request permission to undertake study, which will happen as part of the online application process.

Domestic students from other Australian universities who are eligible for Commonwealth Assistance and wish to defer fees to FEE-HELP, must submit a Commonwealth Assistance form with The University of Sydney. You can request a FEE-HELP form from The Summer School Office. All external students need to upload written evidence from your home institution authorising your Summer or Winter school unit(s) to be credited towards your degree, your transcript and IELTS results (for international students with English as a second language).

Obtaining a transcript for Summer/Winter study

On successful completion of your subject, you will need to apply to the Student Centre for an academic transcript. Information on obtaining your academic transcript is available on the Student Administration website.