Information for International Students

Visitor Visa

Summer/Winter School students only need a Visitor Visa not a Student Visa. A Visitor Visa enables you to come to Australia for three months. Please allow plenty of time for it to be processed.

For students from the US, this can be obtained from the Australian Embassy in Washington.


For information about weather in Australia: Bureau of Meteorology

Airport Arrival and Airport Transfer

The best way to get from the airport to the university is by Taxi (costs approx AU$25) or train (10 minutes to the centre of Sydney). Get off at Central Station and catch a bus via City road to the University. The taxi fare from Central to the university area is approximately $12.You can also arrange a car hire firm to pick you up.

More information about transportation to and from the Sydney Airport can be found at Sydney Airport Website.

Campus Map

The Summer/Winter School is located at Room N228, The Institute Building H03, City Road (next to the Darlington Centre). A campus map can be found at Campus Map.

Accommodation - On Campus

The University of Sydney provides a range of quality on-campus accommodation for visiting Summer School students:

NOTE: these are all residential colleges.

Some colleges and residences offer special deals to Summer School students, for 2013/14 for example:

Please contact the Colleges directly for information on availability and pricing.

Information on various off-campus accommodation is available through the University's Accommodation Services.

Accommodation Off Campus

University Housing Service

Contact the University Student Accommodation Service for a list of nearby hotels and hostels
Phone +61 2 9351 3312 Fax +61 2 9351 8262
Accommodation Service

Semester in Australia

Semester in Australia is a private company that offers good, affordable student accommodation and an arrivals service, providing pre-arranged, fully furnished housing that international students ordinarily would not be able to secure until their arrival in Australia. Students can go straight from the airport to their new home!

Contact Semester in Australia

Find your own accommodation

Student Accommodation located in Haymarket, near Central Station, offers students apartments with shared living/kitchen and individual ensuites.

For information on rental properties Domain in NSW

Suburbs near the university: Chippendale, Newtown, Darlington, Glebe, Annandale

Library cards

Are available from the Fisher Library.


Are available from Student Services (Jane Foss Russell Building) after exams.

Checklist of things you should make sure you have before leaving home

  • Valid passport
  • Photocopies of passport and airline ticket
  • Visitors visa
  • Travel documents (itinerary tickets, travel insurance)
  • Identification (certified copy of birth certificate, drivers licence, international drivers licence (if needed)
  • Credit cards, travellers cheques
  • Medical immunisation records, health cover
  • Any previous reference letters written by landlords etc to assist in accommodation
  • Appropriate clothing for different types of weather
  • Receipts for goods being brought into Australia eg computer

Health Cover

It is recommended that all students take out travel insurance before leaving their home country. It is possible to get OSHC for 3 months.

Contact OSHC World Care OSHC