Christmas work parties: have fun and stay safe
As you join in celebrations of the festive season, please remember that you are responsible for your personal conduct and the University’s relevant policies continue to apply during work-related Christmas parties. Even if held off-campus or out of hours, these events are treated as an extension of your workplace. You should be aware of the standard of behaviour which is expected, and act accordingly.
- Behaviour should be in accordance with the Code of Conduct.
- If you drink, please do so responsibly.
- Remain alert to your surroundings, and take care for your own health and safety. Ensure your actions do not adversely affect others, both during and after the event, if the celebrations continue.
- If you like to share your experiences by social media, be mindful of the standards of behaviour expected of staff, and think about the consequences of your actions.
- ensure that staff and affiliates for whom you are responsible are made aware of the expected standards of behaviour during the event
- ensure the responsible service of alcohol
- set and communicate clear start and finish times for the event
- ensure adequate security and safety measures are in place
- make arrangements to help staff get home safely after the event, such as taxi fares or organising a bus
- arrange for a senior member of your team to monitor the behaviour of guests, and ensure that there is immediate intervention in situations where there is inappropriate behaviour, intoxication or other conduct of concern.