Postgraduate Study

Coursework Program

The new Master of Marine Science and Management is a collaborative effort by the Sydney Institute of Marine Science, the University of Technology Sydney, Macquarie University and the University of New South Wales.

The Masters program offers a unique opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge in a range of marine science and management disciplines which will equip you with the skills, knowledge and confidence to work in the challenging multidisciplinary field of marine science.

For more information on the new program please visit

Other coursework degree programs include individual units of study (see below) and usually require attendance at lectures and tutorials. Some programs also have a project or research component at the Master’s level. For further information on the Marine Science postgraduate program, please contact .

Application information for coursework students click here.

A list of coursework options and units of study is available here.

A flyer describing the science of Coral Environments at Sydney University can be accessed here.

ENVI5501 Environmental Research Project (12cp)
RESP5001 Integrated Research Practice

Research Program

In postgraduate research programs, students undertake supervised research, the major component of which is a research project leading to the production of a thesis. The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master of Science (MSc) and Graduate Diploma in Science (GradDipSc) are all research courses.

The research masters and doctoral degrees have two intents. One is to prepare a substantial piece of work, which represents a significant contribution to the particular field of study, while the other is to train candidates in the general area of research methodology, equipping them with skills which will serve them in any area of research.

Research experience is mandatory for entry into research degrees such as the Doctor of Philosophy or Master of Science, normally via the completion of an Honours research year which has included a written thesis. Is you have not competed an Honours research year, we recommend the Graduate Diploma of Science which is an Honours-equivalent year.

Applying for a research degree program is a different process to applying for a coursework degree program, as it is essential that potential students contact a supervisor first.

Potential supervisors and areas of study can be found here.

More information about postgratduate research is available at the Faculty of Science website.

For more information on entry requirements and how to apply for a research program visit