Marine Science @ USYD is studied within the School of Biology and School of Geosciences as:
- INDIVIDUAL units within various generic, advanced and combined Bachelor degree programs, (check your degree resolutions), and as
- MAJOR (Bachelor of Science generic, advanced and combined degrees).
For a MAJOR in Marine Science, the minimum essential requirements are:
- 24 credit points of Junior Science*
- 12 credit points of Mathematics and Statistics units of any level*
- 24 credit points of Senior GEOS or BIOL units listed under Table 1 for marine science which must include 6 credit points of GEOS3XXX and BIOL3013/3913 Marine Biology as a compulsory core unit of study.
* The Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science is exempt
- Intermediate and Senior units have prerequisite units
- Recommended Junior Biology (12cp) and Junior Geosciences (12cp)
- Any Biology credits taken as part of a Marine Science major may not be counted towards Biology major.
For further information, please contact the Marine Geoscience Undergraduate Advisor or the Marine Biology Undergraduate Advisor .
An Honours program is available which requires students to undertake a year of study and research and the writing of an honours thesis based on this work. Marine science students are expected to select a topic that is interdisciplinary in its scope, spanning more than one area of marine science. Students are supervised by a member of the University of Sydney Institute of Marine Science.
All courses involve some level of practical field work both in the Sydney region and coastal New South Wales. Honours students may travel further afield to conduct their research including participation in oceanographic expeditions and field trips to One Tree Island Research Station.
Undergraduate Field Trip Options
- Field excursions within semester units (2-7 days) e.g. GEOS2114
- Field Trip Intensive units (need permission based on performance in previous subjects) e.g. BIOL3008 Marine Field Ecology (Runs 2015,2017); BIOL3016 Coral Reef Biology
Scholarships & Prizes
There are a range of scholarships available for students at the University of Sydney.
Further information on scholarships and application procedures can be found here.
General information on undergraduate study in Marine Science including other Faculty courses that offer this major go to sydney.edu.au/courses/programs/science/bachelor-of-science/marine-science
Courses in 2015 that offer this Major:
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
Units of Study Tables and Descriptions