Dr Gabriel Machovsky-Capuska
PhD in Ecology; BSc (Hons) in Marine Biology; Loxton Bequest Research Fellow in Nutritional Ecology;
Faculty of Veterinary Science
Charles Perkins Centre
School of Biological Sciences
D17 - Charles Perkins Centre
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 8020|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 3056|
Coastal Marine Research Group (CMRG)
My primary research interest addresses the nutritional and sensory ecology of marine and terrestrial animals. My current research aims to understand the effects of nutrient balance on the behavior, physiology, life history and fitness of animals. My interests extend beyond pure research to include also applied goals, including the conservation of endangered species and pest management. I particularly interest on the relationship between foraging strategies, decision making process and nutrient intake. To answer these multidisciplinary questions I use a wide range of different research techniques in both the field and laboratory. These include behavioural observations and video footage analysis, deployment of miniaturised data-loggers, analyses of animal diet and faecal compositions, heavy metals and nutritional modelling. My work experience also includes research on breeding, diet and foraging behaviour of marine and terrestrial species from Argentina, Antarctica and New Zealand.
I am part of an international collaborative team led by Prof. David Raubenheimer working towards the application of the Right-angled Mixture Triangle (RMT models) as a framework for field biologists interested in nutritional ecology using marine predators, primates and common myna birds as a model system.
Teaching and supervision
Nutritional Ecology of marine and terrestrial animals (marine predators, primates and common myna birds)
- Member of the Research Development Committee, Faculty of Veterinary Science (The University of Sydney)
- The Australasian Society for the Study of the Animal Behaviour (ASSAB). Life member
- International Society for Behavioral Ecology. Member
- Member of the International Society for Behavioural Ecology and International Society for Neuroethology
Awards and honours
- 2013 member of the Research Development Committee, Faculty of Veterinary Science ( The University of Sydney).
- 2012 Invited student speaker of the Australasian Society of Animal Behavior Conference in Victoria
- 2012 Student representative for the College of Science, Massey University, Auckland New Zealand.
- 2011 Research Excellence Award. Institute of Advance Study and Massey University, New Zealand.
- 2011 Invited speaker of the Australasian Society of Animal Behavior Conference in Victoria 2012.
- 2011 Fellowship from Gordon Research Conference Neuroethology: Behavior, Evolution & Neurobiology.
- 2008- 2012 Doctoral Scholarship from theInstitute of Natural Sciences,Massey University, New Zealand.
- 2008 Fellowship from Australian National University. ARC Centre of Excellence in Vision Science. Summer Course on Animal Navigation.
In the media
- Development and testing of the Dolphin Cam: a short-term video camera attachment system for dusky dolphins; Pearson H, Lundquist D, Witteveen B, Machovsky-Capuska G, Jones P, Srinivasan M; National Geographic Society/Waitt Research Grant.
- Nutritional Ecology and real world problems.; Machovsky-Capuska G; DVC Research/Bridging Support Grant.
- The cost of Protein in companion animal foods.; Machovsky-Capuska G; Margot Roslyn Flood/Bequest.
- Plunging into a balance diet; Machovsky-Capuska G; Whitehead Bequest in Wildlife Conservation/Faculty of Veterinary Science Bequest.
- Nutritional Ecology of Masked boobies.; Machovsky-Capuska G; Department of Environment and Heritage (NSW)/Bridging Research Support.
- What diet makes a successful invader?; Raubenheimer D, Machovsky-Capuska G; Whitehead Bequest in Wildlife Conservation/Faculty of Veterinary Science Bequest.
- Do top marine predators balance their nutrient intake?; Machovsky-Capuska G; The Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney/Bridging Research Support.
- Are gannets the capuchin monkeys of the ocean?; Machovsky-Capuska G; Australasian Society of Animal Behavior/Research Grant.
- National Geographic Society/Waitt Grant; Machovsky-Capuska G; National Geographic Society/Research Grant.
- Massey University Research Fund; Machovsky-Capuska G; Massey University/Research Grant.