Dr Peter Groves
BVSc (Hons), MACVSc (Epidemiology), PhD
Senior Lecturer in Poultry Health
C01A - Jl Shute - Camden
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 1612|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 1693|
Following graduation from the University of Sydney, Peter worked in small animal and equine veterinary practice before joining Pfizer Agricare as a Veterinary Research Officer.
Peter continued to work in the commercial environment with poultry research, veterinary and technical services managerial roles with Elanco Products, Ingham¿s Enterprises and Baiada Poultry. Currently Peter is Director of Zootechny Pty Ltd and consultant in poultry health. Peter completed his PhD at the University of Sydney in 2000 with a project on the epidemiology of the broiler ascites syndrome. Career History 1977 ¿ 1979 Veterinary practice (small animals, horses) 1980 ¿ 1981 Pfizer Agricare 1981 ¿ 1985 Elanco Products Company 1985 ¿ 1987 Ingham's Enterprises 1987 ¿ 2003 Baiada Poultry Pty Ltd 2003 ¿ present Zootechny Pty Ltd
Research interests include epidemiological approaches to poultry disease management, with particular interests in broiler ascites syndrome, coccidiosis, Mareks' disease and Salmonella. Peter is currently part of a Poultry CRC research team studying Marek's Disease in broilers. This project has lead to a better understanding of MD virus epidemiology and has introduced a real time PCR test to detect MDV in poultry dust.
Peter is currently pursuing studies on the effects of an inactivated tri-valent salmonella vaccine in broiler breeders aimed at decreasing the overall prevalence of Salmonella on poultry meat.
- Remediation of soil contaminated by Salmonella enterica to expedite plant or replant of vegetables; McConchie R, Bell T, Wilkinson K, Groves P, Phan-Thien K; Horticulture Australia Limited/Research & Development Industry.
- 2014 Australian Poultry Science Symposium - invited speaker Prof Sandra Velleman, Ohio State Uni and Prof Orna Halevy, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Groves P; Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation/Travel Support.
- Opportunities to improve broiler locomotory ability; Groves P; Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation/Research Priorities Program.
- Egg incubation and broiler chicken leg weakness; Groves P, Muir W; Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation/Research Priorities Program.
- 2010 Australian Poultry Symposium - invited speaker Dr Birger Svihus, Norwegian University of Life Sciences (UMB), Norway; Groves P; Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation/Travel Support.
- 2010 Australian Poultry Science Symposium - invited speaker Dr Koen De Reu, University of Ghent, Belgium; Groves P; Australian Egg Corporation Ltd/Travel Support.
- Broiler chicken skeletal integrity and incubation; Groves P, Muir W; Australian Poultry CRC/Research Support.
- Salmonella control in commercial layer flocks; Groves P; Australian Egg Corporation Ltd/Egg Industry Research and Development Program.
- Broiler chicken skeletal integrity and incubation - Poultry CRC Project No. 09-24 USYD (Groves); Choct M, Groves P; Australian Poultry CRC/Research Support.
- 2009 Australian Poultry Science Symposium - invited speaker Prof Peter Cheeke, Oregon State University, USA; Groves P; Australian Egg Corporation Ltd/Travel Support.
- 2000 Australian Poultry Science Symposium, Sydney, February 2000; Groves P, Balnave D; Rural Industry Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC)/Research and Development Grant.
- (POUL-CRC) -Core Agreements for Poultry CTC LTD - USYD collaboration on the terms of the Agreement; Evans G, Groves P, Harris A, Crossley P, Emery D.