Dr Peter Higgins
BVSc MBA CPM FAIM FAICD FAMI JP
Lecturer and Unit of Study Coordinator
B03 - Gatekeeper's Lodge
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9036 9479|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 3056|
Dr Higgins has had a lifelong passion for animals and improving the understanding and education of the community through public communication of ideas and facts. Professionally he has worked in many senior roles that achieved outcomes of improved benefits for animals. His driving tenet is to make a difference. After graduation from vet school Dr Higgins worked as a practitioner and later became involved in business and gained further qualifications in public affairs, marketing, and communications. He worked in senior management roles for large international companies and shaped their development through periods of change. Dr Higgins has extensive experience in business, government, universities, and professional associations. He originally became involved with Professional Practice in 1998 when Dr Henry Collins and he devised the embryonic nucleus of what is now a recognised discipline.
- Teaching pedagogies and learning methodologies for tertiary students
- Professional ethics
- Writing for public communication
- Media’s role shaping the contemporary public sphere & public debate
- Urban Animal Management
- The role of listening role in the communication process
- Human Animal Bond
Teaching and supervision
Professional Practice Unit of Study Coordinator.
Professional Practice 2; Professional Practice 3, and Preparing for Veterinary Practice.
Preparatory Clinical Placement Programme Coordinator
• Sectional Editor for Investigate magazine
• Postgraduate Foundation Proceedings contributor
• Author & facilitator of Postgraduate Foundation 5 year Strategic Plan (2002 - 2007)
• 2 published books
• 4 papers published in Management Today
• 2 papers published in Public Relations Institute Journal
• Articles in marketing and business Journals over 20 years
• One new book in planning stage
• Columnist for New Idea for 5 years
• Pet Editor for NOW Magazine
• Rural Editor for Sydney Media Centre
• Veterinary Editor for Cat Fancy Journal
• Editor of CHOGM News
• Editor of In Touch
• Author of small animal nutrition guidelines for breeders
Life Member Animal Welfare League
Australian Journalists Association (Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance)
Awards and honours
Global Leadership Award - 1994
Contributor of the Year
Royal Agricultural Society- 2004
In the media
Weekly radio program for 5AA on "Animal Care and Animal Welfare"
Dr Higgins was discussing "Dog attack crackdown" on the Sunrise. The watch the interview http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/watch/19478753/dog-attack-crackdown/
Dr Higgins has twenty years experience in radio and television. He is a well known personality who has worked on the Today Show, Burke's Backyard, Off The Dish, Terry Willessee Tonight, Radio 2UE and 2GB, New Idea, Investigate, and Now Magazine.
He was part of the Communication planning and strategy for the 2000 Olympic Games as well as being on the board of The Sydney Media Centre.
Currently doing regular segments with Sunrise, 5AA, and 2UE.