Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience (BAnVetBioSc) - Entry Requirements

Information for Domestic (Local) Students

All domestic (local) students must apply through the Universities Admission Centre (UAC). Additional documentation and/or applications may be required for alternative entry schemes, please see below for further information.

Year 12 students

Local Year 12 students should apply through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). Admission for Year 12 applicants is based solely on performance in the Higher School Certificate Examination with applicants ranked on the basis of their ATAR or interstate equivalent.

Alternative Entry Schemes if you do not achieve the required ATAR:

Please visit the Admissions Office website to find out about other special entry schemes.

Students with previous tertiary study (“transferring” to Animal and Veterinary Bioscience)

Students studying another degree program who wish to transfer to the Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience must apply through UAC. Results from tertiary study will only be considered if you have successfully completed one or more years of full time study (or the equivalent at part time) of a Bachelor’s degree level award course at an accredited tertiary institution.

When applying to transfer, you will generally be ranked for competitive entry on the better of either your tertiary qualification alone, or a recalculated ranking incorporating both the original HSC result and tertiary Grade Point Average (GPA). The tertiary GPA and UAI/ATAR (or interstate equivalent) will be given approximately a 50/50 weighting in this recalculation.

Most students who accept a transfer will need to apply for credit from their previous degree.

Students with a record of tertiary study who have experienced some form of disadvantage during their studies may be eligible to apply for the Special Consideration for Admission Scheme. Please visit the Special Consideration for Admission Scheme website for further information.

Mature Age Entry

Applicants are advised to check the Mature age entry website and contact the Special Admissions Office to ensure that they qualify for mature age entry before enrolling for a preparation course.

For mature age entrants, admission is based on the successful completion of an approved preparatory course that is considered to be equivalent to the program and standard required of candidates for the HSC. For Animal and Veterinary Bioscience, the approved preparatory courses are:

  • University Preparation Course (mathematics and science)
  • Limited HSC (English, mathematics, chemistry and biology)
  • Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation (mathematics, chemistry and biology)

Alternative Entry Schemes for Local Students

All applicants who wish to be admitted under an alternative entry scheme must lodge an application with UAC. Additional documentation and/or applications may be required, please see below for details.

Rural Entry Scheme

Current NSW HSC students may be eligible for entry under the Sydney School of Veterinary Science Rural Entry Scheme. For more information please visit the rural entry scheme webpage.

Flexible Entry Program

You will automatically be considered for Flexible Entry if you are a year 12 UAC applicant and your ATAR falls within 5 points of the cut-off. Good performance in relevant science-based HSC subjects (eg. Chemistry, 2 unit Mathematics, Biology, Agriculture) is essential. No additional application is required.

Information for International Students

If you are an international student sitting an Australian Year 12 examination in Australia you should apply through UAC. All other international student applicants should obtain an application form from the International Student Office.

International applicants will be assessed on the basis of their academic performance and must have achieved a similar standard to that expected of an Australian student seeking entry. Applicants will be assessed on the basis of their academic achievement in their final year of secondary education (Year 12 or equivalent) or their previous tertiary studies (Bachelor’s degree level) from a recognised University.

All applicants must demonstrate an aptitude for science-based study.

Australian citizens with academic qualifications from overseas should apply through UAC.

Permanent residents (non-citizens) of Australia should apply here International Applicants