The function Average
Other Excel functions can be used similar to the function SUM. For example, you can calculate the mean of some numbers by using the AVERAGE function.
- Select a cell below the column of numbers, click the downward arrow next to the summation sign and select AVERAGE as shown in Fig. 5 below.
Figure 5. Using the AVERAGE function.
- Alternatively you could manually type =Average(D2:D7) in cell D8. Actually, this is what Excel does when we click the function AVERAGE on the toolbar.
- Calculate averages for columns B, C and E.
- Calculate the mean of the cells from C2 to C6
- Calculate the mean of the cells from C2 to C4 and from C6 to C7. Hint: Use the formula =Average(C2:C4, C6:C7)