Prior to 1910, the fledgling nation of Australia relied on English and Scottish veterinary schools for training of its veterinary professionals and on imported technical expertise to support its rapidly developing animal industries.
James Douglas Stewart, an Australian who graduated from the Royal Dick Veterinary School, lobbied the New South Wales Government to establish a veterinary school at the University of Sydney, Australia’s oldest University. He became the veterinary school’s founding professor and once it was honoured full status as a Faculty of Veterinary Science in 1920, Professor Stewart became the inaugural Dean and remained in this prestigious position until his retirement in 1939.
The Faculty of Veterinary Science opened its doors on the 22nd March, 1910. Sixteen students enrolled in this premier Australian university course in veterinary science. These students learned from skilled practitioners and world class academics, with access to the know-how of a nation, which was already an emerging power in animal health and production.
Since humble beginnings, the Faculty has grown beyond recognition and now one hundred years later it is internationally recognised as a leading provider of veterinary education, animal science and research focused on the health and welfare of animals and benefit to the community.