Historical Timeline 1910–2010


|1910 - 1919 | 1920 - 1929 | 1930 1939 | 1940 -1949 | 1950 - 1959 | 1960 - 1969 | 1970 - 1979 | 1980 - 1989 | 1990 - 1999 | 2000 - 2010|

1910 - 1919


Click on image to enlarge it
JD Stewart
1909
JD Stewart appointed Professor of the Department of Veterinary Science after a
successful career as Chief Inspector of Stock and Registrar of Brands for the New South Wales
Department of Agriculture.
1910 Students
1910
First intake of students into the Veterinary Science course. This included 14 without veterinary degrees and two with veterinary
qualifications from overseas. 
JD Stewart Bldg 1914
1911-12
Completion of the Veterinary Science Building (now JD Stewart Building) 
Dr Sydney Dodd


1911
Appointment of Dr Sydney Dodd as the first lecturer in veterinary
bacteriology. 

Dr S.Dodd 1st row (sitting), 3rd from left

1913 1st Annual Dinner
1913
First Annual Dinner of the University of Sydney Veterinary Society – held in Adam’s Café, George Street, Sydney. 
WJ Ridley
1914
Beginning of the Great War. One undergraduate and two graduates of the School lose their lives, including Captain WJ Ridley. 
JD Stewart Bldg
1919
The veterinary school obtains Faculty status. 

1920 - 1929


Click on image to enlarge it
Observation box 1921
1921-22
Completion of the Horse observation Box (Round House)
RMC Gunn
1922
RMC Gunn appointed as Lecturer in Veterinary Surgery.
HR Carne
1923
HR Carne graduates
JD Stewart 1923
1923
JD Stewart, then President of the Australian Veterinary Association, secures the passage of the 1923 Veterinary Surgeons Act of New South Wales and sat on the Veterinary Surgeons Board (president, 1931-34)
Melbourne staff

1929
The Melbourne Veterinary School closes its doors. Teaching and undergraduates move to Sydney.

1930 -1939


Ann Flashman
1930
First female undergraduate, Ann Flashman, enters the Faculty.
Pat LittleJohn
1934
Patricia Littlejohn becomes the first female graduate.
Centaur
1937
First Centaur published (magazine of the Sydney University
Veterinary Society)
Rugby team
1937
The Faculty of Veterinary Science wins the coveted University
Shute Cup for Rugby.
McGarvie Smith Farm
1937
Farm Animal training facility established at the McGarvie Smith Animal Husbandry Farm at Badgery’s Creek, Sydney.
JD Stewart

1939
Professor JD Stewart retires 

1940 -1949


Prof Clunies Ross 1940 Professor I Clunies Ross becomes Dean
1945 vet students group 1945 The Second World War ends. Thirteen graduates and undergraduates lose their lives, but the Faculty dramatically expands with ex-service men.
prof HR Carne 1947 Professor HR Carne begins his first term of four two-year terms as Dean (1947-53; 1960-61)
1947 academic staff 1947 The academic staff expand with the establishment of the Departments of Veterinary Pathology (1947) and Veterinary Physiology (1950)

1950 - 1959


John Keep
1951
JM Keep becomes Superintendent of the veterinary teaching hospital at Sydney.
Nepean Hall
1954
Corstorphine and May Farms at Camden are given to the University for the use of veterinary medicine and animal husbandry teaching and research.
Prof RMC Gunn
1954
Professor RMC Gunn becomes Dean for two two-year terms (1954-58)
Prof Terry Robinson
1956
The Department of Animal Husbandry is established under Professor Terry Robinson.
David Hutchins
1957-58
David Hutchins appointed as superintendent of the teaching hospital at Camden (Rural Veterinary Centre) 
Camden Vet Centre
1957
Camden Rural Veterinary Centre 
1958 Camden Vet Centre
1958
The Camden site is fully open for teaching and research. 
vet medicine prof D McFarlane
1959
RMC Gunn retires and the original Department of Veterinary Science becomes that of Veterinary Medicine under the direction of Professor David McFarlane. 

1960 - 1969


RVS Bain
1964
RVS Bain becomes the first non-professorial Dean. He serves for three two-year terms (1964-1969)
Prof Larsen
1966
New Departments of Veterinary Surgery and Veterinary Anatomy are created under the guidance of Professor LH Larsen (pictured) and RM Butterfield respectively.
Evelyn Williams Blg 1967
1967
The new Evelyn Williams Clinical Building is completed on the Camperdown Campus 1968: TG
TG Hungerford
1968
TG Hungerford appointed as first Director of the Postgraduate Foundation for Veterinary Science (now Centre for Veterinary Education)

1970 - 1979


1970 RM-Butterfield
1970
RM Butterfield becomes Dean for two two-year terms (1970-73)
Marg Sabine
1973
Margaret Sabine becomes first female in Faculty to achieve the level of Associate Professor.
Gunn Blg
1973-4
The RMC Gunn Building is completed and houses Veterinary Physiology and Animal Husbandry (later to unite as the Department of Animal Science)
Clifford H Gallagher
1973
Clifford H Gallagher, Professor of Veterinary Pathology, becomes Dean for two two-year periods (1973-1977)
Daria N Love
1973
Daria N Love becomes the first female BVSc graduate to obtain a PhD and later (1988) a Doctor of Veterinary Science from the Faculty. 
1975 vet bldgs
1975
The Departments of Veterinary Surgery and Veterinary Medicine are reorganised into the Department of Veterinary Clinical Studies with professorial appointments at both the Camperdown and Camden sites (Professors MJ Edwards and JR Egerton respectively)
Prof MJ Edwards
1978
Professor MJ Edwards becomes Dean and holds that position for 1978-79 and 1986-1994 

1980 - 1989


Prof JR Egerton 1980 Professor JR Egerton becomes Dean and serves for two two-year terms (1980-83)
Sandy Kincaid 1981 Sandy Kincaid becomes the 2000th Veterinary Graduate.
Patricia Littlejohn 1985 The Faculty celebrates its 75th Anniversary with the first female graduate Patricia Littlejohn meeting the Sydney University Veterinary Society President Barbara Menzies at the celebratory dinner in the Great Hall.
1986 female grads 1986 For the first time numbers of female graduates exceed fifty per cent.

1990 - 1999


A/Prof Grant Stone
1994
The Departments of Veterinary Physiology is incorporated into the
Department of Animal Science under the Headship of Associate Professor
Grant Stone.
David Fraser
1995
Professor DR Fraser is appointed as the first Executive Dean by The University (1995-1998)
McMaster Building
1995
The old Veterinary Pathology Building on the Camperdown Campus is demolished and the staff moves into the McMaster Building, formerly occupied by CSIRO.
Prof Michael Bryden
1997
The Department of Veterinary Anatomy and Veterinary Pathology merge under the Headship of Professor Michael Bryden.
Rueben J Rose
1998
Professor Reuben Rose becomes Dean of the Faculty and serves until 2003.  
VSCC
1998
The Veterinary Science Conference Centre is completed and houses modern teaching facilities as well as the Centre for Veterinary Education (formerly The Post Graduate Foundation in Veterinary Science) 

2000 - 2010


2001 team
2001
The Faculty celebrates moving to a non-departmental structure with a Pro-Dean and Associate Deans having delegated authorities through a Faculty Executive Committee.
Val Charlton Cat Centre
2003
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital at Sydney undergoes complete refurbishment, leading to the building of the Valentine Charlton Cat Centre.
Prof Leo Jeffcott
2004
Professor Leo Jeffcott is appointed Dean and serves until 2009.
Prof David Phalen
2005
The Wildlife Health and Conservation Centre is completed at Camden and Associate Professor David Phalen appointed as its first Director.
2006 BAVetBio grads
2006
The first year of graduates from the Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Biosciences program.
Prof Claire Wade
2009
Claire Wade is appointed as the first female professor within the Faculty.
Conf Centre Camden
2009
The Liz Kernohan Conference Centre at Camden is opened.
Elizabeth Kernohan
Elizabeth Kernohan
was a former member of the Faculty and local State Member of Parliament. 
Prof Rosanne Taylor
2009
Rosanne Taylor is appointed as Professor and first female Dean. 
Roundhouse 2009
2010
The Round house is completely refurbished in time for it to act as the symbol for the 100 Years Celebrations.