Veterinary Student Abattoir Placement Program - Allocations
Overview of Preferences Entering
An information session regarding the 3 Day External Abattoir Placement and preference entering is scheduled for 1pm in the Webster Theatre on Thursday 16th August, 2012.
Students undertaking Abattoir Placement Program will be allocated by random ballot to attend an abattoir. Students enter preferences through the Virtual Veterinary Campus through the ‘Abattoir VSAPP’ link. Students enter preference for placement from November 2012 to July 2013.
Download the How To Enter Preferences for Abattoir Placement (pdf)
Faculty have contacted all AQIS run abattoirs in Australia except for those in Western Australia. Those abattoirs listed below have responded to our request to take students and students are not permitted to contact them without written permission from the Faculty.
- Peel Valley Exporters P/L NSW
- Rivalea (Australia) Pty Ltd NSW
- Southern Meats Pty Ltd NSW
- The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Dept Hong Kong CHEUNG SHA WAN
- HW Greenham & Sons Pty Ltd VIC
- JBS Australia Pty Ltd - Brooklyn VIC
- JBS Australia Pty Ltd - King Island TAS
- Junee Abattoir NSW
- E C Throsby Pty Ltd NSW
- Teys Australia - Beenleigh QLD
- Nolan Meats Pty Ltd QLD
This list of abattoirs will be updated as responses are received.
These sites are offering more than enough places for all students enrolled to attend the 3 Day Abattoir Placement in the 2013 Placement Year. However, if you wish to attend an overseas abattoir (other than The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Dept Hong Kong) please refer to the Non Partner Site Applications below.
Preferences Entering Deadline for Placement
The deadline for entering preferences for placement with participating abattoirs listed above is 9am 27th August.
Students, who do not complete their placements by the end of September of their 4th year will not complete the requirements for VETS4232 and will not be eligible to proceed into 5th year.
Abattoir Accessibility - Transport and Partner Preferences
Note that abattoirs are not easily accessible by public transport and you will need to have access to private transport. Most sites will require you on site by 6am, or earlier. This being the case students are encourages to pair up with another student who has access to a car. Students will attend sites in pairs or in groups of four depending on the site's availability to host students.
If students without their own transport, cannot find a partner to transport them from Sydney to the Abattoir, they may be able to manage public transport to the closest town, or whereever they can oraganise accommodation, and join up with another student who can transport them to the abattoir each day, during the three day placement. You will need to provide details of who you will be travelling with when you enter preferences. If you do not have your own transport, do not pair up with someone who also does not have transport.
If you do not nominate a partner you will be allocated one, where possible. However, it is not guaranteed that you will be paired with a partner who has a car. If this is the case, you will have to organise alternate private transport to and from the Abattoir.
Allocation of Placement Week, Site and Partner Details
Students will be advised of their allocated abattoir and the placement week for Abattoir Placement by Thursday 30th August. The deadline for swapping your allocation with another student is 9am 4th September. After this date there will be no changes made to your placement details.
Faculty will contact the abattoirs to confirm all allocations and students will be advised as and when the abattoirs confirm their placements.
As with other extramural placements, if the Faculty is not able to obtain confirmation of student placements with the Abattoir within one week of the Start Date of a placement, the placement will be cancelled and an alternate placement will need to be arranged.
Most students will be entering preferences for allocation to the sites above. However, students may choose to organise a placement with a Non Partner site overseas.
Non Partner Site Applications will be accepted for overseas abattoirs only. Students are advised to organise their Non Partner Site Applications early. Application deadlines are 28 days prior to the commencement date of your abattoir placement.
Abattoirs must meet the following criterea to be suitable for student placement:
- The abattoir is accredited by their country's governing body
- A government veterinarian operates on-site at all abattoir operating times
Procedure for organising a Non Partner Site Application
Students who either wish to or need to organise placement with an abattoir that is not on the list above should refer to the following procedure:
- Obtain approval to make initial contact with an Abattoir by emailing with the name of the abattoir and its general location (town, country).
- Download a Non Partner Site Application Check List. (pdf). The Check List is submitted to the Extramural Administration Unit. It informs the Extramural Unit of your plans to attend a Non Partner Site and begins the placement process. It should be submitted as soon as possible but at least six weeks prior to the commencement of placement. Adjustments can be made to this Check List up until the student submits the Principal Agreement Form. Students complete the top sections only before submitting it to the Extramural Admin Unit.
- Download an Extramural Abattoir Site Principal Agreement Form. (pdf). The Extramural Abattoir Site Principal Agreement Form is completed by your Supervising OPV and must be submitted within three weeks of the commencement of placement. The student is responsible for making sure that this Agreement Form is submitted before the three week deadline.
- Download the Placement Commencement Package_Sample Document (pdf) and copy the Abattoir Placement Year_2013 (pdf). These will assist in explaining what you are required to achieve from your abattoir placement and what will be required of the OPV and Management.
- After the submission of the Agreement Form the Extramural Unit will email you to enter a preference record on the VVC. You will be asked to check your allocation on the VVC and then your placement with be confirmed and placement documents will be posted to the abattoir.