Veterinary Student Abattoir Placement Program - Allocations
Overview of Preferences Entering
An information session regarding the 3 Day External Abattoir Placement and preference entering is scheduled for 1pm in the Webster Theatre on Tuesday 13th August, 2013.
Students undertaking Abattoir Placement Program will be allocated by random ballot to attend an abattoir. Students enter preferences through the Virtual Veterinary Campus through the ‘Abattoir VSAPP’ link. Students enter preference for placement from November 2013 to July 2014.
Places offered in the September break 2014 are reserved for rescheduling any cancelled student placements.
Download the How To Enter Preferences for Abattoir Placement (pdf)
Faculty have contacted all AQIS run abattoirs in Australia except for those in Western Australia. Those abattoirs listed below have responded to our request to take students and students are not permitted to contact them without written permission from the Faculty.
- E C Throsby Pty Ltd NSW
- HW Greenham & Sons Pty Ltd VIC
- JBS Australia Pty Ltd - Riverview QLD
- Junee Abattoir NSW
- Nolan Meats Pty Ltd QLD
- Peel Valley Exporters P/L NSW
- Rivalea (Australia) Pty Ltd NSW
- Southern Meats Pty Ltd NSW
- Teys Australia - Beenleigh QLD
- The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Dept Hong Kong CHEUNG SHA WAN Students must have a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (HKID card). Do not enter a preference unless you meet this requirement.
These sites are offering more than enough places for all students enrolled to attend the 3 Day Abattoir Placement in the 2014 Placement Year. However, if you wish to attend an overseas abattoir (other than The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Dept Hong Kong) please refer to the Non Partner Site Applications below.
Preferences Entering Deadline for Placement
The deadline for entering preferences for placement with participating abattoirs listed above is 9am 19th August 2013.
Students, who do not complete their placements by the end of September of their 4th year will not complete the requirements for VETS4232 and will not be eligible to proceed into 5th year.
Allocation of Placement Week, Site and Partner Details
Students will be advised of their allocated abattoir and dates for Abattoir Placement by Thursday 22nd August. The deadline for swapping your allocation with another student is 9am 27th August. After this date there will be no changes made to your placement details.
Students will have the opportunity to swap their allocation with another student until the swap deadline, 9am 27th August. No adjustment can be made to an allocation once this deadline has passed.
Both students must email . As with all communication with the faculty students must use the format required - see Uni Email.
Insert the words “Swap Allocation” into the subject line please, so that it will be clearly identified. In the body of the email give the Name of the person you are swapping with, the Abattoir and the Placement dates that you have arranged a swap to. Your swap will be confirmed by email. If you do not receive a reply to your swap request within four days you should contact the Extramural Unit.
Placement Status Field on the VVC Record
The VVC is a true record of the status of your placements. If you believe it to be incorrect you should contact the Extramural Unit immediately.
Students can follow the progression of their placement through the Placement Status field on the New-Look VVC record of their placement. After the swap deadline has passed the Placement Status field will read ‘Allocated – To Be Requested’. The Abattoir will be contacted to confirm their ability to host the students allocated to them and the Status field will change to ‘Requested – To Be Confirmed’.
Confirmation of Placement
When the OPV and Management at Partner Abattoirs confirm that they are able to take the students allocated to them, the placement is ‘CONFIRMED’. The student will receive a confirmation email with important information about their placement. An Outcomes Journal and copy of insurance cover will also be emailed to the student.
Students should not attend a placement unless they have received a confirmation email. The confirmation email indicates that this placement is covered by University insurance and that it will count toward their requirement for the Unit of Study.
As with other extramural placements, if the Faculty is not able to obtain confirmation of student placements with the Abattoir within one week of the Start Date of a placement, the placement will be cancelled and an alternate placement will need to be arranged.
Three weeks prior to the start date of your placement, documents relating to your placement are posted, and emailed, to the OPV. These documents include the Site Contracts which you will sign at the commencement of your placement, copies of the Learning Outcomes and the Student Journal, and Supervisor Report forms for each student scheduled to attend.
Abattoir Accessibility - Transport and Partner Preferences
Note that abattoirs are not easily accessible by public transport and you will need to have access to private transport. Most sites will require you on site by 6am, or earlier. This being the case students are encourages to pair up with another student who has access to a car. Students will attend sites in pairs or in groups of four depending on the site's availability to host students.
If students without their own transport, cannot find a partner to transport them from Sydney to the Abattoir, they may be able to manage public transport to the closest town, or whereever they can oraganise accommodation, and join up with another student who can transport them to the abattoir each day, during the three day placement. You will need to provide details of who you will be travelling with when you enter preferences. If you do not have your own transport, do not pair up with someone who also does not have transport.
If you do not nominate a partner you will be allocated one, where possible. However, it is not guaranteed that you will be paired with a partner who has a car. If this is the case, you will have to organise alternate private transport to and from the Abattoir.
Most students will be entering preferences for allocation to the sites above. However, students may choose to organise a placement with a Non Partner site overseas.
Non Partner Site Applications will be accepted for overseas abattoirs only. Students are advised to organise their Non Partner Site Applications early. Application deadlines are 28 days prior to the commencement date of your abattoir placement.
Abattoirs must meet the following criterea to be suitable for student placement:
- The abattoir is accredited by their country's governing body
- A government veterinarian operates on-site at all abattoir operating times
Procedure for organising a Non Partner Site Application
Students who either wish to or need to organise placement with an abattoir that is not on the list above should refer to the following procedure:
- Obtain approval to make initial contact with an Abattoir by emailing with the name of the abattoir and its general location (town, country).
- Download a Non Partner Site Application Check List. (pdf). The Check List is submitted to the Extramural Administration Unit. It informs the Extramural Unit of your plans to attend a Non Partner Site and begins the placement process. It should be submitted as soon as possible but at least six weeks prior to the commencement of placement. Adjustments can be made to this Check List up until the student submits the Principal Agreement Form. Students complete the top sections only before submitting it to the Extramural Admin Unit.
- Download an Extramural Abattoir Site Principal Agreement Form. (pdf). The Extramural Abattoir Site Principal Agreement Form is completed by your Supervising OPV and must be submitted within three weeks of the commencement of placement. The student is responsible for making sure that this Agreement Form is submitted before the three week deadline.
- Download the Placement Commencement Package_Sample Document (pdf) and copy the Abattoir Placement Year_2014 (pdf). These will assist in explaining what you are required to achieve from your abattoir placement and what will be required of the OPV and Management.
- After the submission of the Agreement Form the Extramural Unit will email you to enter a preference on the VVC. You will be asked to check your allocation on the VVC and the Allocation Status of your placement will be "CONFIRMED'. You will be issued a Confirmation Email and placement documents will be posted to the abattoir.
- As with all Extramural placements students should only attend a site for which they have received a Confirmation Email.