Veterinary Student Abattoir Placement Program Requirements
Training & Placement Requirements
Students are required to successfully complete the following Units of Study prior to attending Abattoir Training.
- VETS3011 Veterinary Pathology,
- VETS3018 Animal Behaviour and Welfare Science
- VETS3040 Veterinary Microbiology
- VETS3041 Veterinary Parasitology
Students then undertaking the two part Abattoir Placement Program:
* A 2 day Abattoir training program at Camden in the mid-year vacation period (July) of their 3rd year of the degree. Training must be completed prior to the 3 day on-site placement.
* A 3 day on-site placement at an approved AQIS Export Abattoir or an approved international export abattoir in another country. The Abattoir Placement Program external site placement program runs from November of 3rd Year to September of 4th Year.
Students must have received a Q-Fever vaccination or tested positive for Q-Fever antibodies prior to placement. A copy of your Q-Fever vaccination certificate or certificate of antibodies present must be presented to the Extramural Administration Unit in the Faculty Office prior to the 2-day Abattoir Training Program.
Students who do not have a copy of this certificate should visit the University Health Services in the Wentworth building ASAP to request a copy of their certificate. You can not have another student request and collect your certificate, you must collect it in person yourself. If you had your vaccination or testing conducted externally to the University you will need to follow up with the doctor or clinic you received your vaccination or testing at.
Students will be organised by the Year 1 Co-ordinator to receive a Q-Fever vaccination through the University Health Services in the Wentworth building. Students who miss this in Year 1 will need to contact the Year 1 Co-ordinator, to organise for their inclusion in the following Year 1's student list for testing and vaccination.
Students who have not received a Q-Fever vaccination or been tested for antibodies, by the end of October Year 2, must advise the Co-ordinator Extramural placements in writing by email to: email@example.com
Whilst on the 3-day Extramural placement students will be required to complete a Learning Outcomes Journal and sign a Site Contract. Other assessment requirements may also be required which students will be advised of closer to the time of placements.