Current Research Projects
Long-term Research Projects (12-36 months)
- Effect of hydrothermal treatment on the nutritional value of sorghum for broilers (RIRDC funded; CI
A/Prof. Peter Selle), with extension granted to explore in vitro pepsin digestibility.
- Calcium-specific appetite in broiler nutrition (RIRDC funded; CI A/Prof Aaron Cowieson)
- Effect of incubation temperature on leg health in broilers (RIRDC funded; CI Dr. Peter Groves)
- Free-range poultry production (Poultry CRC funded; CI A/Prof Aaron Cowieson)
- Beak trimming and environmental enrichment in free-range layers (AECL funded; CI Dr. Greg Cronin)
- Effect of sodium bisulphite on the nutritional value of sorghum (RIRDC funded; CI Peter Selle)
- Optimisation of duck production (RIRDC funded; CI Dr. Jeff Downing)
- Calcium-specific appetite in layers (AECL funded; CI A/Prof Aaron Cowieson – delayed start to October
- Phytate-free nutrition (commercially funded post-doc; CI A/Prof Aaron Cowieson)
- Functional geometry of feed enzymes (commercially funded post-doc; CI A/Prof Aaron Cowieson)
- Extension of the Geometric Framework to broiler nutrition (commercially funded post-doc; CI A/Prof
- Hydrothermal conditioning of swine diets (Pork CRC; CI A/Prof Aaron Cowieson)
Short-term Research Projects (6-12 months)
- Effect of feed enzymes and dietary energy density on the nutrition of the laying hen.
- Effect of xylanase addition to wheat-based diets on the thermal profile of broiler viscera.
- Interaction between betaine hydrochloride and microbial phytase in broilers.
- Interaction between vaccination, phytate and glucan on the immune function of piglets.
- Efficacy of a novel anticoccidial in broilers.
- Interactions between dietary phosphorus, calcium and phytase in broilers.
- Interactive effects of dietary lipid source on xylanase efficacy and caecal fermentation.
Postgraduate Student Projects
- Linda Browning: Effects of vitamin D, Ca, P and Sr in poultry nutrition and egg quality.
- Tugrul Durali: Understanding the performance gap between free-range and conventional poultry
- Sonia Liu: Starch and protein digestion kinetics in broilers.
- Emma Bradbury: Ca, P and phytase and the effects on broiler welfare and behaviour.
- Dean Powell: Methionine and muscle fibre development in broilers.
- Kate Hartcher: Environmental enrichment and beak trimming in free-range layers.
- TBC 2012: Bioefficacy of phytase and acid phosphatase in broiler nutrition.