Current Research Projects
Long-term Research Projects (12-36 months)
- Effect of hydrothermal treatment on the nutritional value of sorghum for broilers (RIRDC funded; CI
A/Prof. Peter Selle), with extension granted to explore in vitro pepsin digestibility.
- Effect of incubation temperature on leg health in broilers (RIRDC funded; CI Dr. Peter Groves)
- Effect of sodium bisulphite on the nutritional value of sorghum (RIRDC funded; CI Peter Selle)
- Calcium-specific appetite in layers (AECL funded; CI Cormac O'Shea)
- Extension of the Geometric Framework to broiler nutrition: the influence of macronutrients on broiler performance (commercially funded post-doc; CI Dr. Sonia Liu)
- The factors influencing sorghum starch digestibility in broiler chickens (RIRDC funded; CI Peter Selle)
- Whole grain feeding in chicken meat production (RIRDC funded; CI Peter Selle and Sonia Liu)
- Effects of rearing in free range laying hens that predispose feather pecking (AECL funded; CI Dr. Greg Cronin)
- Proteomic measures of albumen degradation as indicators of egg freshness (Poultry CRC funded; CI Jeff Downing)
- Electrolyte supplementation of broilers prior to transport (RIRDC funded; CI Jeff Downing)
Short-term Research Projects (6-12 months)
- The Influence of feeding regime on digestive dynamics in broiler chickens (Science Innovation Award; CI Sonia Liu)
- Determination of grain AME for NIR calibrations (Poultry CRC funded; CI Jeff Downing)
- A fresh look at selenium; can we use it to starve Salmonella of growth during infective stage in broilers? (Marie Bashir Institute; CI Cormac O’Shea)
Postgraduate Student Projects
- Tugrul Durali: Understanding the performance gap between free-range and conventional poultry production.
- 2012: Bioefficacy of phytase and acid phosphatase in broiler nutrition.