Calf Rearing and Heifer Replacement Management
Beef Cattle Husbandry
Dairy Cattle Nutrition
- Dairy Australia - Grains2milk, Feeding systems, Home grown feeds, bought in feeds and nutrition management.
- Dairy Co a levy funded British not for profit dairy resource. The Farm Info Center contains a wealth of information on a diversity of topics including nutrition.
- The University of Pennsylvania Cooperative Extension produce numerous technical notes regarding dairy management. The following site describes the equipment required for and the process of making hay.
- The Infovets website has a useful description of how to condition score dairy cattle.
- The Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle Seventh Edition published in 2001 outlines the nutritional requirements of all classes of dairy stock and the nutrient values of common feedstuffs. It can be previewed at the National Academies of Press website.
- Guide to the assessment and analysis of silage for the general practitioner. In Practice 2010;32:8-15
Transition Cow Monitoring
- A good review of transition cow monitoring - Production diseases of the transition cow. Ireland Veterinary Journal. 59 (9) : Sept, 2006.
Dairy Cattle Reproduction
- Dairy Australia has developed numerous resources for dairy farmers to facilitate reproductive management. These tools are presented in the “InCalf” program.
- Dairy Cattle Reproduction - North American resource that addresses reproductive management .
General Veterinary Resource
- A Diagnostic Support System for Veterinary Medicine in “Consultant”by Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. A resource useful for investigating potential causes of health problems in cattle.
- Merck Veterinary Manual a comprehensive electronic reference for animal care information.
Dairy Facilities, Mastitis and Milking Procedures
- Dairy Australia – Milking facilities and cattle handling are reviewed in the Cowtime project.
- Dairy Australia - Mastitis management and prevention are reviewed in the Countdown Downunder project.
- Livestock Behaviour, Design of Facilities and Humane Slaughter by Dr Temple Grandin - animal behaviour and animal handling resources.
- Feedout Checkout Tool: a Decision Support Tool developed by the Victorian department of primary industries, to assist in making investment decisions on feed pads and feeding machinery.
- Guidelines for the design of feedpads and Freestalls. Published by Department of Primary Industries Victoria on behalf of the Geoffrey Gardiner Dairy Foundation.
- Notes on Freestall design by Nigel Cook.
- Compost Bedded Pack Barns for Dairy Cows by eXtension.
- Dairy Australia - “Cool Cows” information for dairy producers in implementing strategies to minimize heat stress in Australian dairy herds.
- Heat Stress Relief For Dairy Cows by Monsanto Dairy Business. Provides specific guidelines regarding sprinkler and fan design and setup.
Lameness in Dairy Cattle
Internal Parasite Management
- Wormboss - Australian Wool Innovation. For the most comprehensive and effective management of worms.