Final Year Clinical Externship Program
The Faculty of Veterinary Science, The University of Sydney offers externships to students in the final year of their veterinary degree from other universities whose programs are accredited with the Veterinary Schools Accreditation Advisory Committee (VSAAC), the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS), the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), or the European Association for Establishments of Veterinary Education (EAEVE).
Eligibility criteria are further outlined in our Externship Policy (pdf).
Placements are available via application at the following hospitals:
- the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Sydney (UVTHS)
- the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Camden (UVTHC)
- the Avian, Reptile and Exotic Pet Hospital Camden (AREPH)
Placement opportunities and dates::
- Placements are now full for 2016 and 2017.
- Placement opportunities commencing in 2018 are not currently available. Please revisit this site for further details on placement availability in early 2017.
To apply you will need to complete the following documents:
- an Application Form (doc) and
- your Home Institution will need to complete a Home Institution Approval Form (doc).
You will also need to complete a Unit of Study Application Form to indicate your preferred hospital(s), units of study and placement or rotation dates. It is recommended that you provide at least two preferences for either units of study or rotation periods:
- Unit of Study Application Form – the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Sydney (doc)
- Unit of Study Application Form – the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Camden & AREPH (doc)
Applications are to be emailed with all required forms and supporting documents to the Co-ordinator Extramural Placements at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without all required forms and document s will not be reviewed. The Subject heading of your email should be - Final Year Clinical Externship Program.
A General Information sheet (pdf) is also available with details on accommodation, transport, VISA requirements, visiting Sydney, etc.