Practitioner in Residence PROGRAM
Partners in Veterinary Education, contributing to either the Veterinary Student Internship Program or the Education Support Practice Program are encouraged to apply for the opportunity to undertake a program of continuing veterinary education at either the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Sydney (UVTHS) or the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Camden (UVTHC) for a period of 12 weeks. The successful applicant will participate in the delivery of clinical services and clinical instruction in companion animal practice, equine practice or production animal practice.
In addition to continuing education in areas of production animal, companion animal or equine veterinary practice, the program has been designed to facilitate continued development of the educational outcomes of the Faculty’s Veterinary Student Internship Program and assist our graduates with the transition to clinical practice.
The successful veterinary practitioner will be appointed to the University Hospital as an external contractor and will be expected to take on the same responsibilities for case management and support and promotion of University Veterinary Teaching Hospital activities as veterinarians undertaking our postgraduate internship programs. She or he will participate in the following activities:
- A one-day workshop specifically designed to provide orientation in practical class demonstration, conduct of tutorials, practical assessment of students and giving and receiving feedback
- A negotiated program of participation in small animal medicine, surgery or anaesthesia under the direct supervision of UVTHS staff in those areas or
- A negotiated program of participation in production animal medicine and surgery, equine medicine and surgery or large animal anaesthesia under the direct supervision of UVTHC staff in those areas
- One day per week instruction of undergraduates including practical classes and tutorials on aspects of professional practice to complement the undergraduate curriculum
- Working the roster of clinic hours including weekends and after hours duty of the assigned supervisor
- Clinical Rounds and Journal Clubs
- Faculty Grand Rounds
- Partners in Veterinary Education Conference
- The opportunity to prepare a review article for publication
- Assessment of undergraduate students
There will be ongoing review of the Practitioner in Residence Program. The successful applicant will be required to develop some educational material and submit a case log. In addition, the successful applicant will provide feedback with respect to the value and structure of the program to assist its further development. Successful completion of the program will result in the attainment of a certificate to be presented by the Dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Science at the Partners in Veterinary Education Annual Conference.
Applicants must be veterinarians registered with the Veterinary Practitioners Board of NSW and have a current licence to use radiation apparatus.
Applicants must be participants in The University of Sydney Faculty of Veterinary Science Partners in Veterinary Education Veterinary Student Internship Program or Education Support Practice Program who can demonstrate:
- Commitment to student education
- Commitment to continuing education
- At least 3 years experience as a veterinarian
- Willingness to enter into a contractual agreement with the University to provide clinical services and take on the same responsibilities for case management and support and promotion of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital as other staff members, under the terms of the general staff EBA
- Willingness to participate in other activities described above, including giving and receiving assessment.
The selection committee of five will comprise of representatives from the University Veterinary Teaching Hospitals (2), the Dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Science and the Veterinary Practitioners Board of NSW (2).
Successful applicants will be paid an allowance of $20,000 for completion of this 12 week program.
Applications should be made in writing and should address the selection criteria above (an Application Form is available to assist this process). In particular, the applicant should focus on providing evidence for his or her commitment to student education and commitment to continuing education.
Applicants should also attach a current resume and any additional evidence that may support their application.
Address for applications:
Partner Practitioner in Residence Program
Faculty of Veterinary Science, Faculty Office
JD Stewart Building (B01)
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
For additional enquiries please contact Ms Melanie Robson in the Faculty Office: (02) 9351 3550 or