Welcome to New Students
Welcome to the Faculty of Veterinary Science! As a new student in postgraduate coursework there are some administrative tasks that you need to do. This section of the website is designed to help with this.
What we will send you
If your application is successful:
- We will send you a letter of offer. We ask you to email us to confirm your acceptance.
- After you have enrolled and paid your tuition fees, we send you your Unikey Details and help you organise your Student Identification Card (this is issued on-campus during residential if you are attending). You need these to have access to the University Library Online, your University email and the online classrooms.
- We give you a Learning Guide to help you in your study.
- We will email you enrolment and residential information with instructions on how to enrol, pay your fees and register for the residential in February.
Each semester we give you:
- Study guides for each of the units of study you are enrolled in.
- Essential readings on CD for your units of study.
- Semester dates with important dates for assignments and online classes.
What you need to do
Before you can get started in the program, there are some things you will need to make sure you do:
- Email us to confirm acceptance of the offer of a position in the program.
- Complete the online enrolment form.
- Pay your tuition fees for the semester. You should do this before the first residential.
- Complete the Residential Registration Form, which will be emailed to you in late January along with enrolment and residential information.
- Make arrangements for travel and accommodation for the residential session. If you are travelling from outside Australia, you may need to arrange a visa as well. We can help you with accommodation nearby, see Residential Information.
- It is strongly recommended that you make every effort to come to the first Residential session. If you find it is impossible, you need to make sure you complete the Online Orientation tutorial.
Things to remember
Before semester starts, you should:
- Purchase any textbooks that are prescribed for your units of study. A list of textbooks can be found in the Textbook List. *
- Re-direct your University email address to an address you use regularly.
- Make a note of the start date of each online unit of study and any assignments. These are in the Important Dates document we will give you.
* NOTE: It is strongly recommended that you place an order for Veterinary Epidemiologic Research by Dohoo, I., Martin, W. and Stryhn, H. (2003) as soon as possible prior to start of semester. This text is the key resource for the Veterinary Epidemiology 1 & 2 units and will be used in other units of study throughout the VPHMgt program. In our experience, this text may take up to 2 months to arrive. View the Textbook List for details of suppliers.
There are some basic skills you need as a student in distance education, to complete the units of study and use the online classrooms and library. Much of this will be covered at the first Residential. We have also developed an online orientation tutorial that will give you a chance to practice some of those skills afterwards.
It is strongly recommended that you make every effort to come to the first Residential session. If you find it is impossible, the online orientation tutorial will help you.
You will not be able to access the orientation tutorial until your enrolment is fully completed. When you have received your Unikey Details, you are ready to get started. There are also some skills you will need that are not covered in the tutorial. These are:
- You need to have access to and be familiar with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. If you are unsure, you may wish to take one of the many training courses that are widely available.
- The course material assumes you have a working knowledge of biostatistics equivalent to that covered in most undergraduate veterinary degree programs. You may wish to take our Biostatistics Refresher Course, which is run in January of each year. If you are unsure, you should complete our quiz Do I need to take the Biostatistics Refresher Course?, available on the Biostatistics Refresher Course page.
- Because you are studying at postgraduate level, each unit of study is based on some degree of assumed knowledge. The assumed knowledge for each unit is listed with the unit details in the Program Outline for VPHMgt or ABMgt.
Access the online classroom
Completed your enrolment? Received your UniKey details? Ready to Start?
You can now access Blackboard and begin your studies. Good luck!