The Pathology Department of the UVTHC has automated instrumentation and skilled technical staff enabling performance of a wide range of diagnostic pathology services. An experienced senior pathologist, a training pathology intern and ready access to a range of specialist and highly qualified pathologists ensure accurate, detailed and clinically relevant results. External laboratories are sometimes utilised to supplement available services.
- Full haematology and biochemistry analyses (blood counts)
- Blood and other fluid chemistries
- Cytological analysis of fluids (joint, pleural, peritoneal and cerebrospinal fluid) and fine needle aspirates
- Microbial (bacterial, fungal) isolation, identification, and antibiotic sensitivity testing
- Faecal testing (nematodes, protozoans)
- Blood parasite testing (haemoprotozoan parasites, nematodes)
- Histopathology (biopsy) diagnostic service
- Full post mortem examination service for all animal species: the UVTHC is one of the few facilities in New South Wales to perform post mortem examinations in horses.
The on-site laboratory provides an efficient and highly valuable service for hospital patients and also offers all services to external veterinarians. The professional staff in pathology will help in the interpretation of the results and assist in laboratory diagnostic evaluation of cases.