The University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Sydney provides a wide range of referral services in surgery for small animals.
Surgical Treatments Provided
- Treatment of cranial cruciate ligament rupture
- Total hip replacement
- Feline orthopeadic surgery
- Joint surgery
- Fracture repair
- Treatments for cancer
- Correction of congenital problems including liver shunts
- Abdominal surgery
- Treatment for heart defects
- Thoracic surgery
- Airway surgery
- Spinal surgery
- Thoracoscopic techniques
- Laparoscopy techniques (including laparoscopic ovariectomy)
- Interventional radiologic techniques
- In addition, a wide range of other soft tissue, orthopaedic, and neurosurgical procedures.
State-of-the-art equipment is used during surgery and to monitor patients and advanced techniques in pain relief are used for all patients. Blood transfusions for dogs and cats are also available. 24hr patient care is provided.
Consultations are by appointment and are available Monday to Friday. Appointments for the Referral Surgery Service can be made through your veterinarian who will provide us with important information regarding your pet’s health. If you have a dog or a cat with a problem and would like further diagnostics or a second opinion, please speak to your veterinarian, who will be happy to arrange a referral for you.
Often, after consultation patients will be admitted into hospital for diagnostic investigations, which may include surgery if required. Patients may be jointly managed with one of our specialists of other disciplines, ensuring optimal patient care.
A detailed estimate of the cost will be provided at the time of consultation once a diagnostic and treatment plan has been discussed.
- Professor Kenneth Johnson Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics, Director of Orthopaedic Surgery & Chief of Surgery
- Associate Professor Max Zuber Honorary Associate Professor of Surgery
- Dr Katja Voss Small Animal Surgery Specialist, Staff Surgeon
- Dr Alberto Gines Small Animal Surgery Senior Clinical Registrar , Staff Surgeon
- Dr Chris Tan Small Animal Surgery Senior Registrar
- Dr Karl Mathis Small Animal Surgery Resident
- Dr Mark Newman Small Animal Surgery Resident