A manual organ built by Forster and Andrews of Hull, England was inaugurated in 1882. The organ was rebuilt between 1928 and 1933.
In 1924 the founders of the broadcasting station 2FC, Farmer and Company, connected the Great Hall to the studio by a direct landline so that educational broadcasts could be made. After the Australian Broadcasting Commission acquired the station, the organ often featured in recordings and broadcasts. When it was replaced in the 1970s by a more modern instrument, The Foster and Andrews organ was was bought by organ enthusiast John Clancy.
In 1962, the Senate commissioned a leading European organ builder, Rudolph von Beckerath of Hamburg, Germany to design a new organ. It was installed jointly by von Beckerath and RW Sharp of Sydney, designer of the organ in the Sydney Opera House.
On 4 December 1972 the present organ was inaugurated by Professor Lionel Rogg of the Geneva Conservatory, Switzerland, at a concert attended by the Governor of NSW, Sir Roden Cutler, and Lady Cutler.
(Stained Glass and Stone by Bertha McKenzie, University of Sydney, 1989, p35)
For more information on the history of the organ and recital schedule please click here
The University Archives holds the records of The Organ Committee which raised money to purchase the original organ.