School safety committees
Schools and faculties that are involved in higher risk activities may establish a school safety committee (SSC) as a focal point for discussion and promotion of local work health and safety issues.
The structure and terms of reference for a SSC would typically include:
- a senior academic as chair who reports regularly on behalf of the SSC to the School Management Committee;
- the "head of school" (or, alternatively, one of their senior representatives);
- senior representatives of major work groups
- the departmental safety officer, where appointed, and
- the health and safety representative (HSR), where elected (noting that the HSR is ineligible to be chairperson).