Drivers must have a current, valid driver's licence for the type of vehicle being driven.
- Ensure your Licence is current and valid
- Record details of trip as per Log book requirements, i.e. Date, time, odometer, purpose
- Maintain vehicles as per the Manufacturer guidelines
- Complete pre-use vehicle safety checklist
- Complete Driver Safety training appropriate to the risk eg 4WD off-road.
- Follow the Australian Road Rules
- Do not use a mobile phone while driving. Pull off the road in a safe location and park your vehicle to use your mobile phone
- Follow the University's Fieldwork Safety Guidelines.
Adopt safe driving practices eg. take regular breaks or alternate drivers over long distances. Remember Stop, Revive, Survive.
- Adjust speed to suit the conditions ie, lighting, weather, road or traffic
Follow defensive driving practices e.g:
- Yield or give way when necessary to avoid an incident
- Check behind the vehicle before and while reversing
- Control speed to allow stopping within a comfortable distance ahead.
- Report any incidents promptly to your supervisor and online using RiskWare.