Good work practices
- Keep frequently used items (e.g. telephone, books, and stationery) close at hand so that you can reach these items without stretching.
- Good posture, maintaining the natural curves of the body, is essential. When at your workstation, maintain a natural and relaxed position, which provides you with opportunity for movement, and from which you can comfortably assume a number of alternative positions
- A micro break should last between 5-20 seconds. You should be taking a micro break at least every 10 minutes. The University of Sydney recommends the use of WorkPace software to assist with prompting of these micro breaks.
- Break up long periods of continuous computer use by performing small tasks/errands.
- Use a document holder if working from hard copy documents regularly. Position the document holder between the keyboard and screen to avoid neck bending/twisting.
- If you are using a telephone for more than 20% of the time, use a headset. Avoid “necking” the telephone if using a handset.