All employees of the University of Sydney, including casual staff, are covered by workers’ compensation insurance if they suffer an injury or illness arising out of, or in the course of their employment. Claims can be made for reimbursement of wages and medical costs in accordance with the NSW Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 as amended.

Injuries arising out of journeys to and from work may also be covered if they meet the prescribed legislative requirements.

Workers' compensation may also be claimed if a previous injury or condition is aggravated in the course of employment.

For more information, read the Injury Management Policy

If you sustain an injury or develop an illness in the course of your employment:
  • Report your incident, injury or illness as soon as possible to your supervisor and via RiskWare.
  • Answer Yes when asked “Do you wish to lodge a workers’ compensation claim for this injury?”
  • Seek appropriate medical attention and obtain a NSW WorkCover medical certificate from your doctor.
  • Include the details from your WorkCover medical certificate where prompted in RiskWare and either attach the scanned medical certificate, or fax it to the Injury Management Services on 02 9351 5300.
  • Keep your manager/supervisor informed about your claim.
Key contacts