For Managers - Responding to incidents, injuries and hazards
As a supervisor it is your responsibility to investigate incidents and hazards, and take corrective action to reduce the level of risk and prevent the reoccurrence of similar incidents.
- Incident/hazard notification
- Corrective action plans
- What to do if a staff member is injured
- What to do if a student is injured
A RiskWare Action Plan must be submitted within 7 calendar days of the incident/hazard being reported.
It may take longer than 7 days to complete the required corrective action and close the incident, but the plan including a description of the actions and anticipated timeframes for completion must be completed within 7 calendar days.
When your staff report an incident, injury or hazard in RiskWare you will automatically receive an email notification. This email provides summary details of the incident or hazard, instructions on what you need to do next and a direct link to the record in RiskWare. Click on the link in the email to view the details of the incident or hazard. From here you can complete a corrective action plan.
Alternatively, you can log on to RiskWare at any time, click on the “Incident Register” icon and then look in the Assigned Incident/Hazard tab. From here you can choose to either View Details or enter a Corrective Action Plan.
Corrective action plans are used to record the actions that have or will be taken in response to an incident or a reported hazard.
Watch these short training videos or follow the instructions provided below each video for guidance on how to:
- Complete a corrective action plan
- Respond to an incident that is outside of your control, and that of the University.
- Reassign an incident or hazard to another University supervisor.
Day to day management of incidents/hazards in RiskWare will automatically be assigned to the relevant manager. However, if appropriate for a particular action, responsibility may be transferred to a different staff member.
If you are away from work for a period and have delegated your WHS responsibilities during this period you can specify this by clicking the delegation icon at the top of the management screen.
- Arrange first aid and support for the injured team member as appropriate. The University has a network of first aid officers.
- Ensure that the injury is reported in RiskWare within 24 hours of the occurrence.
- If the injury is work related and there are medical costs or time lost resulting from the injury, inform the injured employee of their eligibility to claim workers' compensation.
- Support the worker as required through any injury management and return to work programs.
- Arrange first aid and support for the student as appropriate. The University has a network of first aid officers.
- Arrange for the incident/injury to be reported in RiskWare on behalf of the student.