Lawns in front of Anderson Building

Pathways to university: there are more than one

17 August 2018
How to find the right path to the right undergraduate degree

Between ATAR requirements, HSC exams, and comparing bachelor degrees, finishing year 12 can be overwhelming. But gaining entry into Uni may be easier than you think. Our students discuss their pathway to uni and their dream careers.

Jared’s pathway took the stress out of Year 12

Jared in Quadrangle with book

Jared knew Speech Pathology was the right career path for him, but was unsure on the best pathway in.

“I decided in Year 10 that I wanted to study Speech at USYD. Since English and Science have always been my primary subjects at school, it was a perfect marriage of my interests… but I knew I’d have to work hard in my HSC to get there.”

The Early Offer Year 12 (E12) Scheme gave Jared early admission, taking some pressure off during exam time.

“I applied because I thought getting a conditional offer during the HSC would give me a lot of confidence during the actual exams; which it really did!"

The scheme also helped ease the financial pressure of studying, awarding Jared with a $5950 first-year scholarship.

“It has truly opened many doors for me. I felt supported not just financially, but to have the assurance that the Uni believes in your potential... it’s something so invaluable and encourages you to do your best, in high school and beyond!"

It has truly opened many doors for me.
Jared Hermogenes, Bachelor of Speech Pathology

Josie’s pathway recognised her achievements outside her studies

FLS Student Josie

Juggling year 12 and extra responsibilities as High School Captain, Josie wasn’t sure she could meet the ATAR requirement for the Bachelor of Commerce/Laws
degree.

“Though school leadership responsibilities like speeches, open days and assemblies are rewarding, they still take away from potential study time.”

Fortunately, with dozens of pathways into the University, Josie found the Future Leaders Scheme, which offers Dux students and school captains a guaranteed place at the University of Sydney.

“Future Leaders was one of the most amazing things that I stumbled across during my HSC. It allowed me to maintain my leadership commitments whilst granting entry into the course I’d been aiming for my entire school life.”

One of the most amazing things that I stumbled across during my HSC.
Josie Jakovac, Bachelor of Commerce/Laws

Duncan’s pathway made his dream course a reality

Commerce student Duncan

A lifelong ambition to study is something that Bachelor of Commerce student Duncan had also felt.

“Since I was young, I have always been drawn to the idea of being a businessman. I knew that if I wanted to truly prepare myself for life and the workforce, that it was necessary for me to further my education at a tertiary level.”

This passion led him to admission through the Broadway Scheme which allows ATAR adjustments for students who have experienced disadvantage affecting their high school performance.

“I was fortunate enough to gain entry via the Broadway Scheme, and I have constantly benefited from the vast array of support and opportunities provided to me. I feel that I have become a much more efficient, passionate and mature student as a result.”

I have constantly benefited from the support and opportunities provided to me.
Duncan Robertson, Bachelor of Commerce/Laws

Harry’s pathway made Uni feel like home

Cadigal Student Harry

In Harry’s case, a high school mentor encouraged him to apply.

“An Aboriginal youth worker inspired me to go to University. I was accepted through the Cadigal Program, that has supported me in achieving good grades with services such as free tutoring and mentoring.

"All the Aboriginal students can come together as a mob, as we should in our culture, and bond and make great friendships, which is a big part of university life. It provides a safe environment for Aboriginal students and makes University more enjoyable and inviting.”

Harry now hopes to help and inspire others after his Bachelor of Social Work

“I’d like to work as a social worker with youth, preferably teenagers, perhaps in juvenile detention centres, mental health programs, or drug and alcohol rehabilitation."

It provides a safe environment for Aboriginal students and makes University more enjoyable and inviting.
Harry Whitting, Bachelor of Social Work

Molly’s pathway helped her explore her options

Health Student Molly

For Molly, university was a stepping stone to a career in healthcare, but it wasn’t until she attended Open Day that the best pathway to her dream career became clear.

“I’m currently studying a Bachelor of Health Sciences, which is not where I originally thought I would be. I was at a loss at what I wanted to do but I knew I wanted to work with people and I wanted to work in health. I came to Open Day and had the chance to speak to students and faculty in different areas, but also got to learn a lot more about health at Sydney Uni.”

Now three years into her degree, Molly’s pathway to her ideal career seems clear.

“I see myself as health practitioner working with people on an everyday basis, but I also see myself as a researcher, something I never knew I had any interest in until I tried out a few units!”

Whatever your pathway to uni may be, it is important to explore your options through our admission pathways they may give you opportunities and lead you places you never thought possible.

Open Day gave me the chance to speak to students and faculty in different areas.
Molly Riordan, Bachelor of Health Sciences

What will you start here?

Open Day 2019

Whether you’ve set your mind on a particular course or are still considering your options, visit us on Open Day at the Admissions and Pathways Zone to explore the admissions pathways available to you. Register now to attend a mini-lecture or workshop on the day.

Reading this on your mobile? Download our Open Day app now and thank us later. 

We look forward to seeing you on Saturday 31 August.

Open Day Tips

Don't forget to...
1

Have a plan: download the app and create your own schedule for the day

Visit the Open Day website to find out how
2

Make a list of questions to ask before you come

3

Visit the 'Plan your Degree' zone and explore your options