Prerequistes for MTeach (School Counselling)
Applicants for the Master of Teaching (School Counselling) are required to have:
- completed a fourth year of tertiary studies in psychology that meets the standards required of the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC), for example, a Bachelor of Psychology (Honours); and
- sufficient tertiary studies in a secondary school teaching area that meets the prerequisites for that area listed as curriculum areas, noting that a psychology major is a suitable prerequisite for the teaching area Geography/Society and Culture. Applicants who have not completed any tertiary-level studies in a geography-related discipline are required to undertake a Geosciences unit of study (normally GEOS1001) in Year 1, Semester One of the MTeach.
Teacher training is part of the preparation to become a school counsellor; however, this degree is specifically designed to prepare suitably qualified persons in psychology to work in schools as a school counsellor rather than as a classroom teacher. The honours or equivalent fourth year in psychology is required for eligibility for provisional registration as a psychologist in Australia.
Available places will be offered to qualified applicants based on merit. Admission to Master of Teaching candidature also requires:
- a bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline from the University of Sydney or equivalent qualification; and
- completion of the curriculum area specialisation requirements specified by the Faculty; and
- completion of any additional qualifying courses prescribed by the Faculty.
In addition, English language requirements must be met where these are not demonstrated by sufficient qualifications taught in English. In exceptional circumstances, the Dean may admit applicants without these qualifications who in the opinion of the Faculty have qualifications and evidence of experience and achievement sufficient to successfully undertake the award.
Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students (LANTITES)
The requirement to complete the LANTITES applies to all students enrolled in the BEd (Primary); BEd (Health and PE); BEd (Secondary:Humanities and Social Sciences)/BA; BEd (Secondary: Maths)/BSc; BEd (Secondary: Science)/BSc; and all Master of Teaching programs except MTeach (Early Childhood).
Information about LANTITES for students commencing their studies in 2017 and beyond will be required to have successfully completed testing as follows: For the MTeach program, testing must be completed before the second year of candidature, that is, during the first year of the program.
Register to take the LANTITES.
For information about teacher-accreditation requirements in NSW, including the testing, visit the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA).
Inherent requirements for Master of Teaching (School Counselling)
To assist you in making informed choices about your study, the Sydney School of Education and Social Work has identified inherent requirements for the coursework award in Master of Teaching (School Counselling). In order to successfully complete this course, yous must possess the qualities and skills listed here (PDF).