Skip to main content
Unit of study_

Introduction to Clinical Practice - PSYC4000

Introduction to Clinical Practice is designed to equip you with the knowledge, critical thinking and practical skills that provide the foundation for professional practice in psychology. It will build upon the background in psychological science established in the undergraduate Psychology program to develop your understanding and capacity for critical evaluation of the theoretical and empirical bases underpinning the construction, implementation and interpretation of major cognitive and personality assessment instruments, and the development and implementation of evidence-based psychological interventions. Through the lectures, practical activities and assessments, you will also develop an understanding of current regulatory and legal contexts, including the National Health Practitioner Regulation Act 2009, NSW, Co-Regulatory Jurisdiction Standards, and mandatory reporting requirements. You will also be introduced to the Australian National Practice Standards for the Mental Health Workforce. Lectures on ethical practice will cover key issues in the psychology profession's Code of Conduct including Professional Relationships and the importance of con?dentiality, informed consent and record keeping. The implications of cultural diversity and the factors that need to be considered in culturally informed practice will also be illustrated and evaluated. This unit will meet the accreditation criteria for Honours programs in Psychology and provide students with the essential foundations for psychological practice in a range of contexts.

Classes
1 x 2 hour lectures/week x 13 weeks 1 x 2 hour tutorial/week x 10 weeks

Assessment
2000 word assignment (30%); 4 tutorial quizes (20% in total); 2hr exam comprising 4 short answer questions (50%)

Textbooks
All resources will be made available through the Canvas LMS UoS site

Additional information
Departmental Permission is required

Pre-requisites

12cp of PSYC3XXX including PSYC3018

Details

Faculty: Science

Semester 2

05 Aug 2019

Department/School: Psychology Academic Operations
Study Mode: Normal (lecture/lab/tutorial) day
Census Date: 31 Aug 2019
Unit of study level: Honours
Credit points: 6.0
EFTSL: 0.125
Available for study abroad and exchange: No
Faculty/department permission required? Yes
Location
Camperdown
More details
Unit of Study coordinator: Prof Stephen Touyz
HECS Band: 1
Courses that offer this unit

Non-award/non-degree study If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student. Cross-institutional study If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to undertake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.

To help you understand common terms that we use at the University, we offer an online glossary.